Help is needed - gaining weight after stopping medication for 3 months

I will appreciate any kind of information that will ease my situation regarding gaining weight even after stopping medication completely for 3 months. I see many people lose weight in just 3 days after stopping medication. my doctor prescribed topomax 25 mg twice daily and my weight did not go down in fact it increased 9 lbs in one month. I feel desperate any piece of information would be appreciated.
Medication I tapered off completely: Aripiprazole only

Maybe you’re eating more calories now.

Download a calorie counting app for your smart phone to keep track of them.

2 Likes

Sounds like it wasn’t a medication problem.

What are your eating/exercise habits like?

2 Likes

I am not following a diet nor exercising heavily
Light walking 20-25 mins

If you gained weight on topamax you might have a glandular problem. That drug makes people drop weight rapidly. I think it’s unlikely you would gain weight on that unless there was an imbalance somewhere in your body.

1 Like

I never had glandual problems before taking medication Do you think medication and weight gain made this damage or due other issues

Not necessarily. Though maybe I have an issue I don’t know about, which really wouldn’t surprise me. But I gained weight on Topamax. Not rapidly, but I definitely wasn’t losing weight.

1 Like

I have no idea. I have no idea if you even have a gland problem. It just seems very strange that you gained weight on topamax and Abilify. That one isn’t known for weight gain. It could be a weird coincidence. Either way, it might be a good idea to get back on abilify, unless you’re doctor ordered you to stop it.

1 Like

Aripiprazole is known to cause weight loss. It’s possible that was keeping you from gaining so much weight and now that you’re not taking it you’re just eating too many calories for your body type/size and gaining weight. I would try counting calories and see where you are.

1 Like

Ahh. My doctor had to take me off topamax because I lost so much weight I was 5’9 and 124 lbs.

1 Like

My body type is medium and I dont store fat fast Do you suggest any supplements that will boost my metabolism to the normal rate I used to before being medicated

No. But eating less processed foods and getting regular exercise, even just walking, will make a big difference.

1 Like