Having a family history of schizophrenia, relieved that I did not develop it earlier, is it possible to develop schizophrenia at 28?

I am 28 years old, male, Brazilian. I have consulted with several psychiatrists in the past because I have always been in the schizophrenia spectrum, and I have never taken medicine continuously, but I also have never been prescribed neuroleptics, only antidepressants.
I have several people in my family with schizophrenia, which dates back to my great grandfather.
I’ve always taken care of my mental health because of it.
Up to 25 years old, I had been very prepared to develop schizophrenia, so I did everything that I could to stop that from happening.
I was so relieved that it never happened!
But, these days, I’m having serious symptoms, I must confess that I am in a very defining point of my life with finding a job, thinking about getting married, etc.
For example, a few days ago, I was studying for a test required by job. I then heard someone calling my name, then I heard someone else yelling at me saying that I should pass the test or else I would be a loser and miserable forever. I know they are hallucinations, I know it is probably my internal monologue which is preoccupied with what I’m going to do with the rest of my life.
I still have insight, but I have never had any hallucinations that sounded so real before. Even in that supposedly prodormal phase.
Is it possible that, after all these years, at almost 30, I am developing schizophrenia now?

1 Like

It is possible to develop schizophrenia at any age. You should definitely report these symptoms to your doctor, and see what they have to say about it. We can’t diagnose you here, but we can give you plenty of support during this scary time in your life.

8 Likes

Usually it’s early to mid 20’s for onset but that’s not concrete. I would just monitor it atm but if it continues I would look into talking to a doctor. That’s my opinion there may be others out there…

If you are on the spectrum you may only ever experience mild symptoms. Not everyone experiences it the same way and there is a spectrum. It’s something to discuss with your doctor of course but it’s also very, very common that stress will make symptoms worse. If you are stressed about your test it could trigger things. It sounds like you are taking steps to take care of yourself and understand schizophrenia which can help you manage any symptoms. If you know you will have a busy week ahead or stress at work you should pay extra attention to your routine and make sure you are getting enough rest and eating properly, drinking water, etc. It’s almost like an athlete preparing for a match. You know you will be exerting yourself so you make sure you don’t let your defenses down and can more easily handle the stress you are under. It can also help to keep a journal of what you are experiencing. I haven’t kept one in a while but I can look back at ones I had in high school and see how things were changing and it helped me understand thing years later.

It’s unlikely from what I understand but given your history it is possible. Talk to a doctor. I’m most likely developing psychosis at the moment too. It’s scary.

I’m afraid of telling a psychiatry about the episodes of the voices, and he/she decides to institutionalize me, or make the problem bigger than it is.

My hallucinations and other sz symptoms started when I was 30 and a half years old. So yes it is possible

2 Likes

I don’t think you will be institutionalized. You will be given medication to help make it go away.

1 Like

That’s the least helpful approach, sorry. The best outcomes are associated with early treatment and medication. Doctors generally don’t institutionalize people in the long-term these days, and you are only admitted in the short-term if you are in a crisis. You’re worrying about nothing, really. Go get the help you need.

:blush:

2 Likes

Yea u won’t be institutionalized unless ur a danger to urself or others.

1 Like

I had exactly the same thing, but it didn’t happen to me, i am free :slight_smile:

1 Like

It certainly is possible to develop schizophrenia at your age. I was building up to it for a year or two but got my official diagnosis at 29. It pays to be honest with your doctor about what is going on for you. You won’t be institutionalised, just assessed and given treatment. Best to do it now while you still have insight. Don’t leave it until you become psychotic. Causes a lot of major problems. Good luck mate.

I got sz at 26…don’t over wory, but ask your pdoc

1 Like

Early detection and starting treatment a soon as possible can give you a better prognosis. With your family history it would be wise to talk to a doctor as soon as possible. And by the way, I would strongly advise against doing street drugs or illegal drugs if you have schizophrenia. I’m not saying you are using drugs but if you are, now is the time to stop.

1 Like

Make sure you’re 100% honest with your doctors.

1 Like

I had my psychotic break at 30. I haven’t relapsed since then, and now I feel ok. The key is to get diagnosed and treated asap.

2 Likes

I came down with symptoms of sza at the age of 17. It worsened very much at the age of 23, But, I put off getting any help for it until the age of 31. I was officially diagnosed with sza at the age of 34. Before that, it was major depression, recurrent and severe, and then bipolar.

They will likely just put you on meds and monitor you. The main concern there is the price of the meds really. They are unlikely to institutionalize you unless it is severe and untreatable. The outcome is usually better if it is caught early.

1 Like

Through the age between 20 to 30/35 years
what is the common denominator between a man and woman ?
-the maximum degree of the physical health

• for a woman,the ability to resist,tolerate the pain of birth
    the question: why sz occurs between 20-35 years ?

Update:
Yesterday, I was awake during the dawn. Briefly, at 1 a.m., I started to hear a conversation as if aliens were talking to each other, which lasted for a few minutes, but then they went away.
Today, I have also been awake for the whole night. I kept hearing voices during that period for some hours. It started while I was watching a video of a simulation of schizophrenia on YouTube, but, when the video stopped, I kept hearing the voices. Interestingly, I continued hearing them in English (my native language is Brazilian Portuguese). I was not scared, funnily, probably because they were not in my native language.

I will make an appointment with a psychiatry next Monday.