Schizophrenia.com

Haven't had any major disease other than Brain Disorder

Just fracture on my foot and had to use crutches for a week. Parent provided assistance and paid approximately $500 for overall medical treatment.

Brain Disorder, alternative term for Mental Illness.

Have you suffered from any major disease besides schizophrenia?

Thankfully no replies. That would suggest everyone who read this is healthy physically. :sunny:

I had pneumonia once. Had to spend a day in the hospital, if you think that is major.

Never really had big issue besides schizophrenia,but schizophrenia is hard enough to deal with

1 Like

Defined as:

Pneumonia is a lung infection that can make you very sick. You may cough, run a fever, and have a hard time breathing.

That was serious enough for you.

Diabetes 2 count? DX a few years ago.

Since 2006, I have been hospitalized twice for pneumonia. The first was for 6 days, the second was 2 and a half days. The first hospitalization was a nightmare. I was so bad, I don’t remember the ambulance ride. Last thing I remember was being in the shower and hallucinating (from a high fever, NOT sz). I don’t remember getting chest X-rays or anything. I was on assisted ventilation the first day and my lips were blue. NOT GOOD. Second day I spiked a fever of 105, and after 2 hours of unsuccessfully trying to lower it via medication, I was put in an ice bath. To hell with that! I thought I was going to die, and was getting close to wishing for it. I have never felt so bad. I had respiratory therapists giving me breathing treatments every 90 minutes, and every 4 hours, I would lean forward in my bed, as a nurse beat on my back trying to break up all the gunk in my lungs. By day 4 I had improved enough to reduce the number of breathing treatments, and was discharged on day 6 with a Z-Pak and something else. When I hit that ice bath, I thought, “That’s it. I’m done.” Truly scary experience.

It does need my attention. I have just read newspaper than those with toxic fat inside the organs have higher risks to cause Diabetes 2, cancer, and heart disease.
Are you better now?

Pneumonia can be this serious… I think most probably was difficulty to breathe had the most serious consequence.

So far I’ve been managing it without needing medication. I have a blood test in a month to see if I’m winning or losing that battle and if I’ll need meds. So honest answer is I’ve no idea. It’s a day to day battle and hard to loss weight on my AP and AD.

I’ve had virus menengitis. I was ill for a month. Dizzy, could not walk straight. High fever.

I had the flue first and then I got the menengitis.

As long as it is not day-to-day exist. You have hope.

Quite long enough.

Will you somehow become immuned to the virus after recovery? I am yet to perform a search on that virus name.

Yes I believe you get immune to the virus. I don’t know what flu I had then.

I also have had “Swine flue”. My legs and eyes hurt like h***. Constant ache in my bones. I slept through it all. Couldn’t watch tv or anything because my eyes hurt so much.

I’ve not heard about it before. Please take care.

I have a good number of minor disorders that have left me with the physical capabilities of most seventy year olds even though I’m only in my forties.

The first was the strangest.
Pneumonia around age five - Was watching the opening of the Brady Bunch
My dad asked me a question, I didn’t respond, he saw my eyes rolling completely backwards in my head.

I woke up briefly screaming in a bathtub of ice (old school solution to high fever) and blacked out again.

Woke up briefly again in the backseat of a squad car with sirens rolling and blacked out again.

Don’t remember how that was resolved.

Later in my early twenties I was getting a nasty cold while on a construction site installing alarms. Cold damp weather and a storm was rolling in. I began hearing the Brady Bunch theme playing in my head.

Needless to say, pretty nasty fever.

A lot of you have had Pneumonia.

Do you have difficulty moving around?

I don’t. I’m slow and lethargic but I don’t think that has anything to do with what I experienced at age five.

• Diabetes
  • COPD
  • Sarcoidosis

Almost died the last time I was in the hospital. Docs put me on some meds that ended up shutting down my kidneys. They even went as far as asking my brother if the family had made any arrangements yet.

That was a devastating experience.

Glad to know you made it through.