Have you use newsgroup before?

Have you use newsgroups before especially those with discussions on social phobia, schizophrenia, depression, etc. Starts with “alt.”, I think.

Not since my high school days.

I remember my posts always beginning with “So my teacher is making me do this”

But I did frequent local Bulletin Broadcast Systems way back in the day. All text based and everything…those were cool.

BBS, I remember CompuServe. My schoolmates played with it, by the time I finally connected to the Internet, BBS was no more.

Google groups are more private.

There are newsgroups on Google group as well, if I am not mistaken.

alt.support.schizophrenia

1 Like

I used alt.support.schizophrenia back when I was diagnosed schizoaffective. It used to be quite a good bunch of posters but then the ng gradually got taken over by trolls and those who were obviously highly delusional/psychotic.

2 Likes

Thank you for your valuable information. :smiley:

I haven’t used newsgroups in years and years. I never found them to be very useful.

1 Like

Unlike this colorful and smart Web forum, with newsgroup it is just plain text and tree nodes.

The main thing I disliked was that there was so much garbage posted on newsgroups, spam, flaming, off-topic messages, etc. You’d have to sort through a bunch of junk to find anything of value.

This is true . I’m a now very occasional poster on a UK based depression ng. At it’s peak it had over a hundred good posters but then c2006- 2009 a bunch of trolls came along attacking the posters. Gradually good people left in their droves. Now it’s reduced to 6-8 people posting occasionally or very occasionally. It limps along but it’s a shadow of its former self. The trolls having done their damage slithered away.

Does any one know what Reddit is? :computer: