Have you read a lot as a child?

My first book as I remember was mobidick. :scream: frightening​:japanese_goblin:

1 Like

is that red, I see?

:imp: :imp: :imp: :imp: :imp: :imp: :imp: :imp: :imp:

Well our limited statistics here are great :smiley: turns out, people with psychiatric disorders were most likely an avid readers.
Stupid conclusion though.
What do normies read when they were young? " Wall Street for beginners" ?

Yes to all of the above. My preferences run more along the lines of Jules Verne, H.G. Wells, and Mary Shelley, however. I have also read Tolstoy, Dickens, and Jane Austen, but did not enjoy them.

:blush:

1 Like

Yeah i read Dickens as a child. But he was dark and ‘bleak’ just as one of his books “The Bleak House”. And Oliver Twist surely had traumatized me.

1 Like

I read pretty much continuously from comic book age until my psychotic episode. That cost me my reading comprehension and ability to concentrate. I pushed myself to rebuild them over about 5 years, starting with simple self-help and eastern philosophy books.

3 Likes

I did a lot of required reading as a kid and teenager.

I read many of the Classics.

I stopped reading after my Diagnosis.

Little Focus 

2 Likes

Sara your son should read Harry Potter. I read it in first grade and it shaped the imagination i have today
 .oh wait thats not good. dont have him read it :joy:

1 Like

I can’t focus much either. I can only read for 15 minutes.

2 Likes

I think it is great that your son is reading at an early age. He is likely to become a cultured, accomplished person. I can’t remember the first book I read. I was into the Tolkien trilogy when I was young. My mom read to us when we were little also.

2 Likes

My mom turned me into an avid reader very early in my life. I read a lot of young children’s books but she also enrolled me in a couple of book clubs that were meant for older kids. So by the time I was in second grade I had read a lot of the classics like “Robin Hood”, “Treasure Island”, “Robinson Crusoe”, “Oliver”,
}“Aesops Fables”, “Gulliver’s Travels”, “Swiss Family Robinson”, etc.

But I also read many adult books (I don’t mean sex books or anything). But I was reading novels meant for older people. My dad had introduced me to The Hobbit and it became one of my favorite books which I read over and over. I remember when I was about 8 or 9 I saved my allowance and went across the street to the drug store and bought the whole trilogy of “The Lord of the Rings” which is still one of my all time favorite books to this day.

I used to read all my books 4 or 5 or 10 times or more. I devoured books up until I became schizophrenic. Now I rarely read for pleasure except articles on the web that catch my eye. I am still able to read textbooks form my classes very well.

I thinking being a reader as a child has it’s benefits that carry on to being an adult. But being well read helped a LOT during my elementary and high school years. Not only was I well read but I was a VERY fast reader with excellent comprehension. Reading makes you smarter though some may disagree. But being a good reader helped me to write very well too. Reading gives you knowledge that a non-reader doesn’t have. Reading teaches you as you go through life. I know that a lot of people turn down their nose at reading and say that they would rather have street-smarts than book-smarts. Its OK.

I am well read and do not have street smarts though I was in the middle of that kind of lifestyle for 4 years as a crack addict. I probably gained some knowledge besides a couple of good stories and now that I am writing this I am going to sit down and think about what I learned and apply it to my life now.

3 Likes

@crimby, @77nick77 - I was a Lord of the Rings kid, too. My mom got those plus the Hobbit for me when I was seven, and I would finish them and start all over again at the beginning. For nearly 15 years, I was constantly in the middle of one of them.

@Nomad - if Harry Potter made kids crazy, everyone under the age of 35 would be on APs now :scream_cat: I just started listening to the audiobooks on the way to and from school again yesterday. Harry and Hagrid are on their way to Diagon Alley :smiley_cat:

1 Like

I remember my parents hiding all the flashlights so I would stop reading at night and go to bed
the library was magical
I stumbled upon the hobbit and was hooked
I’ve read countless books tomes and manuscripts
last actual book I read was the Abraham Lincoln vampire hunter book
but read a lot of articles on the various subjects that I enjoy

I think maybe I read to an extreme when I was younger
I had college level reading and could define new to me words with limited contextual clues in the 6th grade
they tested to see If I was mentally handicapped because I wouldnt do homework
and my grades suffered

2 Likes

It definitely widens one’s perspective on the things, people and life matters.
But in my opinion, one doesn’t only need to learn to love reading but also to learn to read consciously. Cuz not all books, let’s be honest, ‘will make you a better person’.

But so far I’m gonna just let him enjoy in that world as if it was innocent and real.

1 Like

Not even “Naughty Teaches Gives Private Lesson”?

Okay I see you want some recommendations in that field :smile:

@nomad :relieved:

1 Like

when i was in middle school i read at a college level. i remember one of my favorite books was mary shelly’s frankenstien.

1 Like

I don’t remember my first book. I enjoyed reading as a kid and I still do now. The Sz caused me to have to stop reading. I hate to think that I will have to stop again.

I think Freddie the Pig Detective was the first series that I read, long before the Hobbit came into my life.