Have you had ect and it has helped?

Yea but not for sz, its for depression and depressive symptoms in bipolar and sza.

1 Like

Yep correct. I doubt it has much effect on positive symptoms. But it does improve mood so that indirectly can help with motivation just from feeling more upbeat.

They use ECT for SZ in BC.
rTMS is recognized but not widespread. It does work though. Really well.

1 Like

Yeah in bc the pdoc mentioned ect and mst for sz.

1 Like

ECT is controlled seizure. It can disrupt your current mood and state. So useful if your mood is severely low or high. Not useful if your not in extremes. Also carries several side effects like memory issues, heart rhythm problems and many others. But yes its useful if in extreme bad states which require urgent intervention.

1 Like

Not here, I saw 8 psychiatrists and none recommended ECT or rTMS. I asked my latest pdr about those and he said these arent for sz, theyre for depression.

You do have depression or sza, no?

@LevelJ1

Windy have you tried clozapine? That is usually the last resort medication for treatment resistant positive symptoms.

1 Like

Yes I have the bipolar aspect. I went for rtms for the depressive/negative symptoms whatever ya want to call them. Not sadness or anything just lack motivation and avolition.
I didnā€™t go to it for psychosis. I believe for psychosis thereā€™s a different target point they use on the brain. The medial paretal or something.

1 Like

I also wouldnā€™t be surprised if the manufacturers of the machines fund the studies too. Ya know just like new pharmaceutical studies.
Capitalism lol

You have bipolar with depressive symptoms?

Youā€™re not on any meds?

My dx is bipolar 1 with psychosis.
I have had full scale manias and full scale depressions.
But Iā€™ve also had psychosis for months without any mood problems.
And Iā€™ll also have the lack motivation avolition without any depression.

The research facility pdoc said the goal is to treat the symptoms that Iā€™m looking to solve. And using the treatment for that is a bit experimental.
Thus itā€™s good for the research.

Iā€™m a guinea pig šŸ™‹šŸ˜„

2 Likes

Nope no meds. Just the rtms twice a month and prn risperidone which I pretty much never use

1 Like

Just understand my psychosis symptoms calmed down a lot over the past 4 years. So Iā€™m pretty stable in that regard.

1 Like

I know, youā€™re in the minority that dont need meds 5-10%.

Yes I had a very unusual experience with not going the medication route. Thatā€™s why I donā€™t really like to mention it.

1 Like

Iā€™ve had three separate series of ECT for depression. It helped. They explain everything to you. You are under anesthesia. They induce a seizure to kinda reboot the brain.

Iā€™m available in PMs.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 95 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.