Schizophrenia.com

Have you ever outed yourself as mentally ill on a non mental health forum?

Just done so on a genealogy dna forum i read and occasionally post on. Reason a couple of quite paranoid posts by another member which were not connected to his few previous posts and so i gave him some supportive advice. At the end i declared that i was chronically mentally ill to show solidarity with another probable mental illness sufferer.

good on you for being brave and supportive.
take care

There is a time and place for sharing your struggles. I think it’s good that you felt okay enough to share. It’s not good to keep everything inside.

Personally,for me i wouldn’t mind telling other people online I had MI,but in RL,i would better be prepared and others be prepared too to reveal my MI

I told the other Muslims on an Islamic forum I was mentally ill. There was another one or two that had written about their mental health problems, too. I didn’t feel awkward in telling them at all because my question concerned my mental illness and fasting in Ramadan and I needed to know some info about that.

Sounds like something I would do. It might be hypocritical for me to say this, but I would be careful about sharing my illness with people who aren’t mentally ill. There are a lot of assholes out there who refuse to understand.

Last year, I sent a mass email to all of my friends and family detailing my illness. I felt like it was time to stop hiding and making excuses for why they hadn’t seen me in months.

The response I received was overwhelmingly positive. My friends and family were SO loving and supportive. One friend even started an online fundraiser to help me pay my medical bills. Between my friends and family, he raised over $4,000 for me.

It was a little embarrassing at first, but then I felt so touched and relieved that i didn’t have to hide anymore. And it definitely brought me and my friends closer together. I’m glad I did it. I wouldn’t have changed it for the world.

Blessings,

Anthony

I’m too afraid of ignorance to out myself online. But lately, I’ve been outing myself to non mentally ill friends and people at the drop-in center where I hang out. The people I’m talking to don’t seem ignorant, as far as treating me like an idiot or a leper. I think it’s great that you provided advice to the sufferer.

As i go on very few non mental health forums or newsgroups i have had limited opportunities to ‘out’ myself online. The few times i have reactions have been mixed -ranging from reasonably supportive/understanding to quite hostile.

‘Ironically the worst reactions were from a disability newsgroup that was primarily geared to the physically disabled . There has to be the right opportunity to say ’ I am mentally ill’ as in surrounding factors. It’s not something you can just come into a non mental health environment and just blurt out.

I’m not on any non-mentally ill forums, but for school we have a discussion board and can share our assignments. There were a couple of times I shared my diagnosis when it was appropriate. Nobody said anything. I didn’t make a big deal out of it, just threw it in there. In the 3D world I have a harder time telling people, even doctors. I’m always afraid of what the person is going to say. When I was on a dating site I met a guy and we started talking. We were really hitting it off so I told him I was mentally ill. He never responded. He just stopped talking to me. I’m kind of glad it didn’t work out because it enabled me to meet Jason. Some people are ignorant though. :sunny: