Have you ever made up a reason why you are a little off instead of telling people about your mental illness?

One day this dude asked me what the heck happened to me. I guess I was a little out of it. I told him I had a problem with alcohol.

So I guess I"m a phony alcoholic. :upside_down_face::upside_down_face::upside_down_face:

7 Likes

I just let people wonder.

Everyone Iā€™m close to and care about know my condition.

3 Likes

I tell them about my concussion history and that it causes me to have issues. Which might be true but I canā€™t prove it. My close family knows about my g.a.d and depression.

1 Like

People ask me all the time why I disappeared for two years. I just tell them I moved and was working which is half true. My close friends know the whole story and donā€™t care though, you would be surprised what people donā€™t care about.

1 Like

I really only associate with my family and they know everything. Pretending to be an alcoholic made me laughā€¦double thanks.

2 Likes

Itā€™s bizarre because when I was 19 and didnā€™t know what was wrong with me I said to myself ā€œI wish I was alcoholic or something then at least it would have a nameā€.

2 Likes

See I just became an alcoholic to deal with all the s$$t that was wrong.

1 Like

Iā€™m pretty honest about it.
If I donā€™t feel like it, I just say Iā€™ve been dealing with some personal problems.

1 Like

I used to tell people I had drug problems during the early days of my diagnosis. Not a good idea. Itā€™s been years since I went back to the town where I went to high school. Pretty sure people there think Iā€™m not only crazy but a crazy drug addict. Other than that I told a group of online friends I had a cognitive disability some years ago. The word schizophrenia was purposefully avoided.

4 Likes

Iā€™m thinking if I get a job Iā€™m not gonna tell people this time. It would make me feel uncomfortable. Like they will get weirder around me for knowing that and I will feel weirder. I feel weird enough as it is

2 Likes

Those close to me know, other people I just say jokingly ā€œmy brain thingā€ and give a silly face. They normally donā€™t ask beyond that

3 Likes

I think maybe some here think Iā€™m a drug addict. I doubt Iā€™d tell anyone I had sz unless pressured into it.

1 Like

My commanding officer in the Air Force once asked me if I was crazy? I told her ā€œno, a little eccentric maybeā€. She said, ā€œyes, eccentricā€.

1 Like

My aunt asked why I didnā€™t have a job when I was at a party on Saturday. I said I need to stay sane. She took it as I need to find the best opportunity

2 Likes

Iā€™ve told people i am sick sometimes if I want to get out of something

4 Likes

When I go into the hospital for a few weeks I tell people that donā€™t know about my psychosis that itā€™s my heart. (I have heart problems). Otherwise I donā€™t usually tell people. When I get a job I just say Iā€™m on disability for my heart.

1 Like

I use tell people I have " something" and change the subject

1 Like

I usually tell them I have a headache, since I always rub my temple to try to ease the volume of the voices. Or I just tell them I didnā€™t sleep.

1 Like

Tell them youā€™re experiencing Rapture and ask them if Jesus is their personal savior. Best way Iā€™ve found to stop any conversation I donā€™t want to have from starting. People usually disappear with a little poof of dust like in the old Road Runner 'toons. (I actually do this.)

3 Likes

Rofl. I laughed when I read this. Itā€™s the truth lol

1 Like