Schizophrenia.com

Have you ever faced anything as hard as sz/sza?

Have you any other of life’s trials that were as bad as sz, I feel like if you can survive that then you’re a tough cookie

2 Likes

Definitely not.

1 Like

My worst problems have all been much bigger than my SZ. My SZ is manageable.

4 Likes

I would have to say the combination of major depressive disorder, combined with PTSD was far worse for me.

As odd and unlikely as it might seem, schizophrenia has been a blessing for me. It marked the end of the depression I cannot describe, simply because I was forced to crawl out of it in order to survive schizophrenia

It has taken me seven years, but it’s worth it

4 Likes

My sz is the least of my problems. It sucks, don’t get me wrong, but compared to a lot of other things I’ve been through it’s not that bad.

4 Likes

It can be a nice escape if your life is a hell, I like reality better myself though

3 Likes

No. The dementia that goes along with sz is very frustrating.

2 Likes

Finding a parking space in downtown San Francisco.

7 Likes

Short term? Much worse.
Long term? No.

2 Likes

Being gay and sz is probably the two hardest things for me.

2 Likes

With or without meds Its the worse thing to happen in my life.

2 Likes

I’ve had it for so long it’s kind of just a part of me.
But yes it’s been a long hard road.
Don’t get me wrong.

2 Likes

@Kxev I would have thought being gay in today’s culture would be much easier. When I grew up, admitting you were gay was equivalent to a death sentence, at least socially

I’m curious to ask about it, but maybe you feel uncomfortable

1 Like

Yes. I grew up in a very abusive home. Then I was taken by men from a party and held against my will for 3 months.

2 Likes

@dcragg65 I grew up in a very catholic family, so regardless modern culture it really starts at home how coming out was not encouraged. At 18 I came out and became atheist. Lost a lot of family. My family voted against gay marriage. I finally got married. But I would compare my personal experience with both being extremely difficult.

2 Likes

@Pianogal I’m so sorry that happened to you. I hope you are okay today.

2 Likes

@Kxev I can appreciate that, more than you know. I was raised Catholic as well, and still refer to myself as a recovering Catholic LOL.

It could not have been easy to come out. Kudos for you, that shows guts

2 Likes

Me too, I think I’m still “recovering”

2 Likes

Friend of mine, Michelle came out a few years ago to a friend. She was shunned even by her best friend for 2 years afterward.

Felt for her, but she had a great connection with her partner, I think she came through through it pretty good

Same situation, where her best friend and her family are all staunch right-wingers. Don’t get me wrong, nothing wrong with that. But The judgmentalism that comes with it sometimes is a bit hard to listen to

2 Likes

@Kxev, thanks. I have ptsd but I’m ok

2 Likes