Have you ever been catfished

The photo they put on the dating site vs who turned up.

I had taken a pic of our first date and someone else pointed out it wasn’t the same person. And a little more research revealed he had a wife.

1 Like

Oh wow that sucks.
I’ve been catfished when I was really young, like 17 or so.
I still feel stupid, but there’s no way of knowing unless there are really obvious signs

1 Like

Why do they call it catfished?

1 Like

Because of a documentary where the main character finds out he’s being tricked, and the husband of the woman who did it starts telling a story about catfish.

5 Likes

Whew! That guys sounds like a real ■■■■■■■. I hope his wife divorces him and takes all his money.

2 Likes

@anon80629714 I hope you aren’t talking about your current bf. Must be someone else you’ve dated before right? Please dispel my worries!!

2 Likes
3 Likes

They have tried but it didnt work. I had a lesbian writing to me but i found out it was a sick man by creating the right questions and looking at his reactions. It was all in a text conversation.

It was when i had my sexual orientation confusion.

2 Likes

No this was over a year ago @andrey. As for my current bf I didn’t even see a clear photo of him until we started talking when I asked if he could send me one

3 Likes

Cool that sounds reassuring.

2 Likes

I once agreed to a date with someone who claimed to be 25. When I got there, he was easily in his 40s. He had been using all older photos of himself. I don’t know how he thought I wouldn’t notice. I ordered an expensive meal, with dessert, and did not offer to pay. It was my retribution.

4 Likes

I don’t accept any friend requests these days If I don’t know that person in real life. Just simplifies things a lot and you miss a lot of the dodgy people.

3 Likes

No, I haven’t been catfished, but I have been gas lighted massively.

Are you being sarcastic lol

2 Likes

Not at all. I was genuinely concerned because you’ve had crappy luck in the past with guys. But the current guy looks clean to me :grin:

1 Like

I’ve been catfished multiple times but maybe I had it coming. Looking at urbandictionary definition of catfish, I did it to people for 5 years straight. But that was more my way of coping with reality. My schizophrenic fantasy world was a prolonged cat fishing. Maybe though it’s different because I wasn’t trying to get peoples hopes up but rather I just wanted to belong to a group in life. But people have got me so I’d say it’s even now.

1 Like

What is cat fishing ?

1 Like

They explained it. Scroll up.

Sounds dumb why would someone do that though

To get a rise out of people. Or to scam them to give them money.

2 Likes