Have you been in Paris, France

I was there in Feb 1988, 34 years ago. I was studying and I had one week break from my studies and I went to Paris. It was a nice trip, I was just 20 years old.

7 Likes

I’ve been to Disneyland Paris as a kid, Roland Garros as a teenager and to Paris itself several times. It’s not that far from Belgium.

3 Likes

I once travelled to Paris from Brussels by a train. It is a longer distance from here where I am now. I am glad I travelled when I was young.

2 Likes

I’ve lived there for 5 years tops, in 2 installments.

2 Likes

I’ve never been there, but I would love to go, someday. :relaxed:

1 Like

Never been and honestly,

It’s not even on my top ten places to go.

My sister and I sent our parents for the holidays one year,

They had a great time.

I just have no interest.

1 Like

I went in 2014. I wanted to go to Versailles and chickened out because of people at the train. Yet, I practically walked across Paris on the way to a grocery store and didn’t know the neighborhoods. I walked to the Eiffel tower and the Louvre. Didn’t have many days there and I think I lost the phone with pictures I took.

Yes i been. I loved it.
@mjseu Do you think you will travel again?

1 Like

I did all my travels after High school, so i got the travel bug out of me. Plus living and traveling all over the US.

But my husband has never left the US so We really want to do that for him. Ireland we have to do before we die. And Canada is so close I personally want to go to Canada.

2 Likes

I go there very often: I watch “Emily in Paris”.

JK. :laughing:

1 Like

Yes! I spent a weekend in 2009

1 Like

Come to Canada!

3 Likes

I"m joking a little because some French people had fun making fun of this series (Emily in Paris.) by showing the dark side of Paris.
It’s sure that it doesn’t have much to do with reality.

1 Like

I want to so bad to see canada. Since my 20s. But never done it.

My husband loves it too but we have had so much family spread out throughout the US - we had to constantly visit - they never came to where we were. So the last 20years together we’ve only done domestic travel. I did go to Mexico.

Canada is so huge - so many places I would want to see.

2 Likes

Versailles was a letdown for me. I guess it is important to see for its historical significance, but it is not that appealing in its appearance. I liked Saint Chapelle better than Versailles. Notre Dame was better too. They say the French don’t like Americans, but the police there are pretty cool. One time I was really drunk, and I walked up to a couple of policemen going hic hic hic, "Do you know where The, hic, Louvre is? One of them looked at me, and pointed, and said, “It is, hic, that way.”

3 Likes

As far as I know, the French do not hate Americans. How can you generalize this opinion?
On the other hand, an important part of French people vote for parties that I do not find very recommendable.
But these feelings of “hatred” and “anger” exist everywhere in the world.

2 Likes

I visited Versailles when I was in Paris many years ago. It was really over-the-top ornate in an almost kitschy way. i remember having to wear slip on shoe covers to protect the floors and I had trouble getting the shoe covers on. Apparently, I have large feet. :athletic_shoe: :athletic_shoe: :smile:

2 Likes

I think France is a pretty fractious society. They say they like Americans in the south of France. I think most of the French were Vichy in World War II, but the French Resistance was superb. Supreme Allied Commander Dwight D. Eisenhower said that the work the French Resistance did in D-Day was worth fifteen divisions. But I have encountered French on the internet who were way too effete. One time I wrote on the internet that if they were going to try to put me on Haldol they were going to have to catch me first, and this French guy said, “In France our police use stun guns to capture such filth.”

d

1 Like

We were on a tour, and we did not get to see the inside, but something about the exterior seemed drab. Maybe if they planted some extensive gardens it would help.

Don’t pay attention to this kind of thing!
I live in France and I often meet sick people like me (dozens) and I have NEVER heard of a policeman threatening a sick person with a taser. It must be extremely rare.
Most of the hospitalizations here are so-called “free” hospitalizations.
Yes, there is still restraint in the hospitals but I think that will change. There is a lot of talk about mental health here now, especially since Covid.
So yes, there are “forced” hospitalizations as I guess everywhere.
The treatments are the same as in most western countries and the psychiatrists are the same as elsewhere!
On the other hand, the situation of the hospitals is not good because of budgetary restrictions, particularly in psychiatry.

As far as the resistance during WWII is concerned, I think that the French resistance fighters were not the majority, far from it.
There is a bit of a myth around that, knowing that General De Gaulle and the others surely “mythologized” the resistance in the years following the end of the war.
There were surely many more resistance fighters at the end of the war!
The first ones to be so ended up badly.

1 Like