Have you been in food lines or gone to a food bank

I went to food banks at one point. I don’t feel bad at all about it. If it’s embarrassing, it’s over pretty quick. I was always with friends or people I knew from a day program. I’ve thought about going just to save money.

4 Likes

Yeah ive used the food bank down the road a couple of years ago. Not the biggest fan of pasta which you always get given, but i shouldnt moan, cos its free.

Sometimes you can get food vouchers off the mental health team (with a no alcohol sticker on them! lol)

Always been very nice to use them - although they do push to attend the local church sometimes for a service, which is not really my thing anymore.

5 Likes

I have never been to one. When my son was born we were in college and I wasn’t working we got food stamps.

But that was in the 90s when they were really stamps. We picked them up once and we’re too ashamed to use them. We never went and picked them up again. You had to wait in a line every month.

Now you just get a debit card. Much better. But I make too much money to get any of that kind of assistance now.

I think it’s good for people that need it.

When I was little my great grandmother used to get that government cheese. It was really good but I don’t know where you get it from. I would go get some if I could.

My grandfather and my grandmother just died recently and they got home delivered meals ready to eat. I think Medicare paid for it. They would have burnt the house down if they tried to cook. They both lived at home into their 90s.

6 Likes

They have weekly groceries for the soldiers in the office building I work in. No one is more independent and has more self respect than these soldiers.

5 Likes

I go to food banks pretty regularly. In fact the Food Bank of our State is running a huge giveaway event this month on the 31. I’m looking fwd to it - they give you tons of good stuff, fresh fruit, vegetables, meats, all kinds of stuff that’s becoming increasingly difficult to afford, especially since they’ve cut back the Food Stamp program. I don’t feel any way about using these services: that’s what they’re there for.

3 Likes

I’ve been to the food pantry once. It was so incredibly helpful! I had to stop working, due to disability, and we were drowning in medical debt and also needed some things fixed that would cost lots of money.

We were unable to afford food, one month. We were so stressed about it, yet we didn’t even think about food pantries. I actually mentioned it on here, that we didn’t have enough money to feed ourselves. And then some forum members recommended food pantries! I can’t believe it didn’t cross my mind before. I was so grateful.

We went to a church who gave us a big box of food! No fresh stuff, like veggies (sadly), but we got lots of canned foods and frozen foods. Chick-fil-A apparently donated a ton of frozen, breaded, chicken patties. We got so many patties; we basically survived on chicken patties and canned green beans for a couple of months. :joy:

I’m just happy that such things as food pantries exist. And I’m thankful about the people who volunteer their time to gather the food and hand it out to people who need it.

6 Likes

The day program i used to go to would take us to the food bank and anything we got we didnt want we would use at the day program to make lunch.

2 Likes

Thankfully I’ve never needed to but we’ve given them a lot of canned goods after my mum passed. We aren’t doing too badly touch wood but they were very appreciative so don’t forget if your doing ok there’s a lot of people in need and every little bit helps.

3 Likes

I used to go to the food bank with my mom. I think she still goes sometimes.

2 Likes

I did last year, two times.

The food I got the second time round was so good. And so much. I got about 3 bags full. Jam packed bags.

First time round was good but much more basic.

Those places are amazing for when in need.

3 Likes

People everywhere need to eat and drink, there has been the growing demand at the food banks of Paris, France.

No I haven’t but I donated money to the food bank last year.

They have an important role to play.

2 Likes

In the past I’ve been to food bank, soup vans, soup kitchen’s

2 Likes

I’ve been to soup kitchens on the street a few times, and I went to a food line once. I bought food with my extra food stamps and took it to the local food bank a couple of times.

2 Likes