Have you advice on "Carer" type courses

I want to develop yslef to get into caring work…any advice?

I’d say nursing?

1 Like

If you go the mental health route you will face some exasperating work, but I guess a lot of caring jobs are demanding. Let me say I admire you for your intention. A position in the caring sector in the mental health field is that of a “psych-tech”. You need a college degree to get that. In that position you will have the most direct contact with the mentally ill of anyone in the loop. You will be a jack of all trades that could have to function as a cook, a disciplinarian, and a therapist, as well as any other need that needs to be filled. You will also have to deal with a lot of paperwork.

1 Like

It depends what sort of carer you want to be.

If you want to be a mental health social worker, for example - you need a degree and about 2 years post-degree training in mental health (with supervision from a qualified mental health social worker or registered psychologist). This is what I’m completing at the moment (final year). I have to say - I’ve never been expected to cook or clean or anything of that nature. There is a lot of paper-work, though. And red-tape.

Nursing degrees are usually 3 years duration and you can specialise later on if you prefer a specific field.

There are various other things you can do - counselling, for example. But that also requires an under-graduate degree. Disability work requires either a certificate or diploma, as does aged care.

At the assisted living center for the mentally ill where I live the have a position called “caseworker”, I think, not “psych-tech”. That’s something different. I think the term “caseworker” covers a variety of positions. Where I live caseworkers have a variety of duties, some of which are just basic maintenance. Not only to they do therapy and paperwork, but they often have to cook and clean up messes. You can become a caseworker with just a four year degree and make around $24,000 or so a year.

Students are expected to complete 1,662 hours of training during the program before applying for their license. If they get a full-time state job, their salary ranges from about $54,000 to $62,000 per year.

Friday’s graduates expect to take their board exams in the coming weeks.

The program, offered three times a year, costs students about $2,800. It has been around for more than 40 years at ASH, a high-security state hospital that treats mentally ill violent offenders from the correctional system.

Cuesta College became a partner in the program about 12 years ago.

“An 18-year-old person who graduated high school can attend, and within a year have a great career ahead of them,”

Read more here: http://www.sanluisobispo.com/2012/05/25/2081620/psych-techs-in-the-making-at-atascadero.html#storylink=cpy

That’s not true in CA, maybe your state though. You take an exam and go through a year long course where you study, and work like an intern. A year later you have your license. After two years of being a psych tech at the hospital, you can choose to go through the hospitals nursing program w/signing a 4 year contract.