Have meds affected your intelligence?

Thank you sir for your words of encouragement— I’m happy you’re able to follow your passion and take pictures, they’re amazing! :+1:

1 Like

Know Waye.

2 Likes

Shrink told me not to take too many classes at once when she medicated me. She was right. I was given a short IQ test after getting medicated and was told I have “very poor problem-solving skills” afterwards. I literally am now considered 'below-average intelligence after Risperdal. Cognitive testing also showed decrease in memory.

1 Like

Im working more on my emotional intelligence right now than my mental discernment. I am practical, logical, but learning takes effort. I could probably take classes again, if I can get my depression under control. I can look at my life retrospectively and that would be overwhelming. My biggest challenge is in learning to let go of knowing everything, while still soaking up love for hobbies and things I do enjoy. My goal is to put my interests into healthy projects.

1 Like

Oh wow I didn knew you drew :slightly_smiling_face: would love to see some of your art. I’d say some supplies would be a good investment :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

1 Like

Well said!!! I’m in a similar place.

Also, you come across as very intelligent in this post :+1:

1 Like

Haha, I just mess around mostly :sweat_smile:

Here’s some stuff from a while ago :slightly_smiling_face:

3 Likes

Great stuff :ok_hand: makes me wish I could draw

1 Like

Thank you @cathart1c :sweat_smile:!

Doodling is always a good place to start, I think :slightly_smiling_face:.

1 Like

Damn you’re good!! You have a really clean style. I like! :smile::smile::smile:

1 Like

Thank you @ThePoet! :sweat_smile:

1 Like

Lol np big tuna! :smile:

1 Like

Tretos my cognition has also has suffered tremendiosly because I’m on a very high dose of antipsychotics. But less meds cause great suffering to me so I’m glad that I can take some meds for this terrible condition.
meds now.
500 mg Clopixol LAI every 3 weeks.
900 mg qutiapine by mouth.

Wow these are great!! You’re very talented illustrator

1 Like

Thank you @FreeLunch :sweat_smile:

Meds destroyed my ability to write. I couldn’t see the story.

Can feel it coming back. Going to try to get back into it. I have readers waiting. @shutterbug

2 Likes

IT’S ABOUT DAMN TIME ALREADY.

(And yay you!!!)

:heart:

1 Like

my risperdal has effected my memory recall. get confused and cant remember names and facts.

1 Like

I don’t think it was the meds. I think it was the lifestyle that came along with the diagnosis. Prioritizing my health meant that for a long time I had to avoid stress. Staying connected to reality meant trusting my own judgment less and looking to others to confirm my beliefs/ideas. Feeling like a failure in life made me shy away from other situations that could lead to failure. A lot of intelligence comes from pushing through difficult struggles, from testing out new concepts, from trying and failing.

Once I was stable for long enough, and I started working at it again, all my intelligence came back. It took maybe 2 months of dedicated refusal to give up.

3 Likes

When I first went from mild mental illness to serious mental illness ,in 1975, schizophrenia was seen as the ‘kiss of living death’. Especially if you were a teenage lad. Expectations were drastically reduced.I had almost no self confidence due to the bullying I’d been subjected to, and that wasn’t helped by more than a few mental health professionals promoting the line that you’d get ill due to taxing you brain too much! Thankfully whilst there’s still room for improvement, things are much better. That is illustrated by the number of people here who have got degrees, despite having a serious mental illness . That was virtually unheard of when I became seriously mentally ill.

A facebook acquaintance of mine once said 'The magnitude might differ,6.5 for me,8 for you, but in both cases we see destruction. ‘I can solve this, then everybody can’. ‘I can’t solve this,then I’m stupid’.