Has your schizophrenia been misdiagnosed / Or has your disorder, disease or condition been diagnosed as schizophrenia

Well I’ve had some professionals say I was just “gifted” spiritually and did not have schizoaffective/psychosis.

People who believe in ghosts and demons tend to say I do not have psychosis. People who don’t say I have psychosis. :woman_shrugging:

2 Likes

Yes I was first diagnosed with ptsd and then schizophrenia, auditory hallucinations, I am pretty stable now, all though they are trying to update my antipsychotic meds. Do you have to take sleep meds? I am new so I hope ok to ask questions! How long have u had Sc

That’s my main concern, meds not good long term, I read possibly side effects and would love to cope with sc without meds but voices are difficult especially at night

Hi @Sheila , I have had schizophrenia for 3 or so years, I was diagnosed less than 3 years ago but had symptoms before that. I was diagnosed when I was 27, how old were you when you got diagnosed?

I don’t take any sleep meds though. Welcome to the forum, hope you like it here!

Yea psychosis is scary only had it once stayed in hospital 10 days, I was out of my tree. So it comes back if u get off meds? I thought once u had it and understood what it was u could cope if happened again. So much I don’t understand, I first starting hearing voices 3 years ago at age 57

1 Like

Yeah it comes back to me if I don’t take meds, I have been hospitalized 3 times, 2 times involuntarily but last time was voluntary. I couldn’t just cope with it, I needed meds, the TV was giving me secret messages and so was music, I got pretty delusional.

I am lucky in that I don’t hear voices or see things that aren’t there. I get all kinds of delusional though and it has put me in “interesting” situations.

Dollar, im hearing you. I am 44 so I been around a bit, and know where you are coming from. Quick purpose of post is to maybe help shed some light that not everyone has been diagnosed correctly and if think that to please try and find another opinion if it may help them gain a little better quality of life. If that makes sense?

Sheila, agree yes it can be a very scary thing… your situation has started a little later in life.? The age factor tho doesnt make it really any different to a point. (Unless your a child)
I hope u r well.?
Msg if u think i can help further with questions etc. Chin up

Brando
Yes similar situations to a lot of people.
If you can learn to control that area it may make it a little easier
Hope u r well

Sheila is this post directed at me?? The question one with regarding to sleeping??

Anna, maybe you are one of the lucky ones.
Lets hope so.

The science is pretty clear on this one - medical treatment of SZ improves prognosis. I don’t know what alternatives you are talking about, as for SZ, there really aren’t any. Therapy helps but is not a replacement for antipsychotics.

Also, do you have sz? Do you have a psychotic disorder? Because this is a forum for people with SZ and related disorders.

At any rate, you won’t be helping anyone if you try to push an anti-med agenda here.

2 Likes

Rob, could you pls elabrate on your message re your diag??
I just a little confused with your notes
Cheers buddy

Sometimes people with femoral lobe epilepsy are mid diagnosed as schizophrenia. Or vice versa. In my case I have both and it is not uncommon to have both.

On the other hand once I was diagnosed with avoidant personality disorder. But this was t the case. I don’t have that.

I think it’s more likely that a co-morbid ASD dx will be missed , than schizophrenia or schizoaffective will be misdiagnosed .

2 Likes

Yes, I hear voices all night if I don’t take sleep pill, are u able to sleep

When I had an episode around 911 the tv was sending messages, after it was all over I didn’t have anymore delusions, I thought it was something from God then 3 years ago I started hearing voices and went thru psychosis, I was hospitalized. Now I’m on meds and just hear them occasionally. It’s like a bad nighmare

1 Like

I mean I do have some mental illness

Although I am not sure what it is

I feel like my mind has blown into a million pieces

I feel like I am stoned, can’t properly think
What do you call that?

1 Like

yeah I feel like humpty dumpty or trying to unbreak a broken glass. I see you have some badges, have you seen a mental professional as of yet?

1 Like

OMG I think this describes me because I have none of the negative symptoms of schizophrenia.