Has the maximum human lifespan been reached?

The average human lifespan has increased significantly over the last 100 years (34.1 years to 72 years, respectively), yet for the same period of time the maximum human lifespan is basically unchanged at 115 years. Is this truly the maximum lifespan for human beings? (There are some outliers who have lived a small number of years longer.)

Here is a research paper from the NIH/NIMH that disagrees with the assertion that 115 years is the maximum lifespan for humans:

2 Likes

I think with pollution, radiation, etc our lives will continue to be limited.

2 Likes

As long as there is more and new medicine it will go even father.

2 Likes

Well I’m concerned about the obesity types of things… I think they are getting worser and worser by the year and I don’t know how that’s going to change
And antibiotic resistance

1 Like

@saynow please don’t talk about your religious beliefs.

2 Likes

My own spiritual beliefs say there was a different maximum but I won’t push those here. It’s still interesting though. I’m curious to know why one person lives to fifty and another who is a centennial. I wonder how old my generation will live to but bad diet, stressful jobs, sedentary lifestyles, and poor choices make it difficult to ascertain.

Anyways nice thread @anon17132524

:grinning:

2 Likes

Sorry for that 66669999

1 Like

I once read an article that it’s going both ways. In areas that won’t be able to afford medical advancements you won’t see much change, but if you can afford it, they estimate age a child born today could live into their 130s

2 Likes

I read that given telomere lengths, the maximum lifespan is about 120 years. If telomeres can be lengthened artificially, then people might be able to live longer.

4 Likes

yes… until we augment the divine with technology… but then we won’t be humans any more… but yes natural human life span has hit its peak.

2 Likes

There is a rise in cancers that usually only affect the elderly in the millennial generation. That could stop us from living into the 130s

1 Like

When we can harness the power of turtle dna we will live much longer. We may also grow shells and turn green

6 Likes
1 Like

Y’know, as long as its a high quality good life, I think it doesn’t matter how long you’re going.
Cause, then you’ll be happy.

1 Like

Very interesting, I’d never heard of telomeres before. I still think humans will find a work around, we always do.

1 Like

I will go on forever, I will be haunting the forum for all time :smiley:

4 Likes

Bill Gates has a saying that people overestimate what will happen in two years, but underestimate what will happen in ten

With Gates’ saying in mind, so many things will be different in 50 years. Someone born today will likely live 160 years.

I won’t be around to see it–unless I live to 105 :grinning:

2 Likes

Possibly.

In some sense, each of our cells has a biological clock. It is doomed to die after about 60 reproductions.

The Hayflick limit is the number of times a normal human cell population will divide until cell division stops. Empirical evidence shows that the telomeres associated with each cell’s DNA will get slightly shorter with each new cell division until they shorten to a critical length, turn into senescence and eventually die.

This whole process roughly takes about 120 years. Sounds like a familiar number?

1 Like

Before we set our minds to increase lifespan, we should ask ourselves a critical question: do we deserve to live that long? On this already overcrowded planet, what qualifies us for eating up resources crucial to our great grandchildren?

2 Likes

My high school physics teacher once said that she saw things like air crashes, wars, and natural disasters that result in death as population control. I loved her up until that moment.

1 Like