Has anyone been on the same med for 10 years or more?

I’ve been on risperdal for 10 years and everytime i’ve tried a different AP i have had really bad results. I’m wondering if youve been on the same med for as long as i have that it might be almost impossible to have success with a new drug. Most Dr.'s suggested that i taper off risperdal over a week’s time but no longer. Could this suggestion have been the problem. I’ve tried Abilify, Seroquel, Invega, Zyprexa, Geodon these are the ones i can remember.

I have been on my meds for about ten years. I take Elavil and Mellaril

@Mechanical, Do those meds work well for you and have you tried any other meds with any success?

Forty-three years.

2 Likes

@koolbreeze72, Im fortunate in that I don’t have any probable issues with my QT interval. No ive not been on other meds. My pdoc has reassured me that if my meds are not produced any longer he has a substitute.

Yep same med for 28yrs.

2 Likes

Risperdal and Geodon tanked in the '90s. Seroquel has worked like a charm since '03.

1 Like

Don’t know if this thread helps

I’ve been on Geodon and Seroquel for over ten years. Like you, when they tried me on different drugs they didn’t work. I’ve given up on trying to find a magic formula that will make my life blissful. The drugs I’m taking do what I need them to do.

2 Likes

**My son was on and off prolixin injections for over 10 years. **

I was on regular Seroquel since my senior year in high school, then a year or so ago my doctor switched it to Seroquel XR, I don’t know if it’s the same Seroquel as before or if it’s a stronger version of the drug. When I was in the hospital and first being diagnosed they had me on so many different drugs, but Seroquel was the one that seemed to work the best for me.

If the drug is working for you, I don’t know why you’d be tapered off, unless you’re going off drugs completely. It might be hard if you’ve been on it for so long. if you are thinking of getting off it, it would be best to slowly lower the dosage until you think you can go without it otherwise your body will seriously react negatively to not having the drug, its like being on other drugs, unless your in a health care place that deals with addiction, I wouldn’t try it on your own.