Gym harassment: how sexism, stalking and surveillance stop women working out

1 Like

Personally i don’t like the gym cause I can’t socialize there. I prefer a teamsport or sports club. The gym is a higher level of selfdicipline.

1 Like

Is this a problem? I’ve never seen much sexism in the gym.

1 Like

Its a problem.

The very reason I haven’t been to the gym in a long time.

1 Like

Things must be different over here, then.

1 Like

It’s a real problem. About a year or two ago I was at the gym with my husband and best friend, and this guy not only stared at us, he started taking pictures. I was furious. I know he sent them to the men who follow me. My friend saw him doing the same thing. Men stared at me every time I went to that gym. I stopped going. Now I go to a new gym where there’s a women’s only section that’s cut off from the rest of the gym. You go into the women’s locker room to get there and you need a barcode with your membership to get in so there’s no men there at all. It has cardio, machines, weights… everything you need for a workout.

It’s a huge problem. That’s why I joined a gym specifically for trans people. But resources like that don’t exist everywhere, which is unfortunate.

1 Like

@Ninjastar, I’m excited to hear there is a gym like that! That’s awesome!

1 Like

It’s nice. The trainers are trans also, so they know how to work with our bodies.

1 Like

Wow. So cool! You’re so lucky :slight_smile:

1 Like

I would assume those on HRT would have unique demands on new muscle mass they develop?

1 Like

I hope not. I personally have not been sexually harassed at the gym. The people at the gym were mainly nice. I took a swimming class with mostly women though. I might want to take yoga again there.

Gyms are like using public transport. I never know where to look. Plenty of freaks on the buses and trains. I started working out on my floor. In theory I never have to leave my home again. Would be great getting my medication homedelivered. Its like the movies we loved so much. Local Armageddon.

Correct. Also, when you have a feminine frame and want to look more masculine, there are certain exercises you can do to get there.

1 Like

That really sucks. Personally I never had any weird or bad experiences at the gym. But I dont doubt that others have.

I’ve noticed there are more men than Women at my gym. Like 75% of the people there are men.

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.