Guys how do I stop being nocturnal?

When I isolate myself I always tend toward nocturnalism. My folks have been away on holiday for a while and it is just me here. I have become decidedly nocturnal.isnt a good sign. Woke up today at 8pm.

I really want to change but my body clock is completely reversed.

I see my hour keeping as a barometer of how I’m doing.

7 Likes

If I lived alone, I would struggle with the same thing. Even now, I tend to stay up way too late and sleep in the next day. But my girlfriend and I always end up being busy to where I have to conform to a regular schedule. And she complains when I sleep all day lol.

1 Like

I’d be nocturnal if it wasn’t for my AP. So I don’t know the answer… :frowning:

3 Likes

Do you take meds at a certain time in the morning? Go outside then in the sunshine for at least 10 minutes after that.

If you can’t do that, then try to open the blinds and put the lights on, but going outside is more effective.

Better yet if you can do 10 min exercise, or walk around the block.

Then when it’s bedtime, turn off your phone (or just don’t use it) or your computer or TV for between 30 min and 2 hours before bed. If you can’t do that, get some yellow glasses to block the blue light.

I have been nocturnal and am now diurnal :smiley:

3 Likes

I’m pretty naturally nocturnal, but I feel the same way. Right now, my sleep schedule is messed up - fell asleep this morning at around 8:30, woke up at 2. That’s pretty much the hours of my classes tomorrow, so this is going to be interesting.

Are you keeping your blinds closed? I think exposure to sunlight would help. Dim lights after 6 pm or so. Get exercise - wear yourself out somehow. Eat early in the day. You’re up pretty far north, so I imagine you don’t have a lot of sunlight to take advantage of - maybe a lightbox, used before noon each day, might help.

2 Likes

Sleep at night, now you’re diurnal. Sorry, that’s not helpful. Try to enforce a hard rule on turning off electronics after night? Having less things running tends to be good for my sleep, because there’s nothing to do.

1 Like

Lately I have been sleeping in the night and being awake in the day. However, for many years now my sleep pattern has been totally out of whack. Most of the time I have been staying awake almost all night and sleeping most of the day.

1 Like

I wake up at like noon, maybe 1:30 sometimes. It seems to me your somehow misdiagnosed or really the wrong meds. I’d be seeing someone but that. I sleep in alot and even after 17 years of AP’s Im never that bad. That’s almost jet lag.

You gotta stay up over 24 hours one day. Then go to sleep at the time you desire to.

2 Likes

Same…
Can’t you sleep after you take your meds?

1 Like

I think you are spot on @Tyme. Will need to push through tomorrow. Will open the curtains all day.

3 Likes

I was taking 400mg of Seroquel at night for six months. Eventually it stopped being sedating at all and I would stay up the whole night after taking it.

3 Likes

Still taking Seroquel, 300mg at night.

1 Like

I have the same trouble sometimes. Whenever I find that I keep an owls schedule, I stay up all day on purpose and get really tired so that I want to sleep at night and before I know it, I sleep all night and am up all day. My last pdoc, who I adored, told me to force myself to stay up all day,no matter what,in order to get my sleeping schedule turned around right.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.