Grounding technique

I saw my psychiatrist yesterday. He gave me a new technique to refocus and change my thought patters when I start getting violent or intrusive thoughts or when I’m distracted by things like the spy cameras I found on my property.

It is a technique to activate all five senses.

1. rub my hands together or rub my feet on the floor
  2. have something close to smell (I picked patchouli oil)
  3. look at pictures around the house or on my desk at work
  4. suck on a tic tac
  5. put in my earphones and listen to Jazz.

I edited my slideshows for work and home to include these steps. And I’m spending the morning creating a new folder of music from the 60’s that makes me feel happy.

7 Likes

Love 60s music :blush: good idea!

1 Like

Me too right! I listen to a radio station that plays 60s and 70s music almost exclusively. It’s a radio station for old people, all the ads are for funeral insurance and nursing homes. But I love the music. It’s hopeful and happy.

2 Likes

hey @anon84763962 can u tell me how much is the per session cost with a p doc or psychotherapist …
cuz i am soon going to see pdoc in Australia…???

my parents grew up on that music!!! They’re not that old though!!! :blush:

When I’m home I have 4 radio stations that exclusively play classic rock. Gotta love it.

1 Like

$180 for ongoing 20 minute consultations. The initial appointment, which is what you would be having, costs over $300 (sometimes up to $400).

1 Like

Yea, same it’s my parent’s music I’m listening to.

1 Like

oops its so costly…may be i will get discount in my sister hospital BTW she is a nurse…!!!

1 Like

all the ads are for funeral insurance and nursing homes

I lol’d. I noticed that too when I listen to 80s music stations. I actually stopped listening for that reason in fact.

1 Like

Did you guys talk about seroquel. I think seroquel is the cause of your violent thoughts. But I’m not the doctor…

He said that at the moment, the drugs don’t seem to be having too much effect on me. He didn’t mention anything about the seroquel causing the violent thoughts. But I must admit I have been under a bit of stress at work recently.

Mr Turtle asked if I may have become,um I forgot the word. Kind of ‘used to’ the drugs. Oh, if I had built up a tolerance! And Dr Mo said that I hadn’t, that all of everything that is going on is just the schizophrenia winning out in a way.

I always just say to Mr Turtle “the force is strong in this one” when he starts playing doctor talking about medicine changes and the rest.

@chew here’s a cool song for you …

1 Like

I always just say to Mr Turtle “the force is strong in this one” when he starts playing doctor talking about medicine changes and the rest.

That’s twice you made me laugh in the same thread turtle! :smile:

1 Like

LOL! I win!!!

1 Like

Oh man! That’s early sixties! I was thinking the doors, Jimi Hendrix, Janis Joplin. When you said sixties. You like that doo wop stuff? Lol.

1 Like

I like The Beatles and music like that, that sort of indie pop sound.

And I like the Doors.

1 Like

This is a great grounding strategy! Thanks for sharing it.

By the way, I just got back from Portland, and I had a great airBnB for $55/night. If you are looking for places to stay when you visit, PM me and I’ll send you the link.

1 Like

Thanks for the tip! Mr Turtle has already booked our accommodation though.

3 Likes

Airbnb is great! Do they have it in Australia? It beats staying in a hotel IMO. You get a better taste of the area and it’s cheaper usually!

1 Like

Yes there are air bnb’s in Australia.

1 Like