Grandma's cat almost drowned today, got stuck under a grate

Chloe, our grandmother’s cat, almost drowned today. We arrived to pick up my brothers (they live with my grandmother) for dinner at Outback Steakhouse, and they told us that Chloe had been outside for 8 hours and they were worried. My mom started calling for her and heard her meow near where we were parked, turned out she was underneath the bars in this storm drain. There’s a shelf on the right side where she was perched, and to the left it was a drop with tons of water flooding down (it was pouring rain). We were going to call the fire department to cut her out, but my grandpa got a big prying bar from his garage and we were able to pry off the bars and get her out. Turns out it wasn’t attached after all. She was losing her footing and we were lucky to get her, if she had fallen she would have washed out into the lake. We have no idea how she got in there, must be an entrance somewhere nearby that leads to this spot. She probably crawled there before it started raining and got trapped by the water. Anyway we rescued her and ate dinner, but it was crazy. She’s a tortoiseshell cat, I posted a pic of her once on the cat thread.

I don’t have a picture of her actually underneath it because I was more worried about getting her out at the time. It was lucky we arrived and my mom was there to call out, because otherwise we never would have found her.

8 Likes

Poor thing. My cat went outdoors at an early age, but always came home when she was hungry. She’s 15 now and knows our neighbourhood pretty well.

How old is your cat @agent101g ?

2 Likes

She’s about six years old. She was soaking wet when we got her out, she better not do something like that again!

2 Likes

That’s the craziest cat story I ever heard! It’s grace that she’s okay! I’m SO glad you could rescue her! Will she stay inside now?

2 Likes

She’s always been an outdoor cat and she scratches to get out if you don’t let her. I’m pretty sure she won’t go into anymore storm drains though. She used to climb on the opposite side of the steps in the first house she was in and when she lost her footing and fell (one of us was there to catch her) we never saw her do it again.

1 Like

Oh okay! Yes, hopefully she’s learned!

1 Like

I’m so glad she got saved!!! Poor kitty! She must have been so scared!

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.