Grandiose delusions help people with schizophrenia cope

https://www.psychiatryadvisor.com/home/schizophrenia-advisor/hallucinations-optimism-help-maintain-grandiose-delusions-in-schizophrenia/

These findings suggest that individuals with grandiose delusions have more positive symptoms and are more optimistic about the future as part of the underlying psychological process associated with the maintenance of these delusions, which allow them to cope with stress and adversity caused by their disease.

10 Likes

Yes, I often have grandiose ideas. Itā€™s a great antidote for depression

3 Likes

Yeah I kinda miss how good it felt before I figured out it was a disease. Thereā€™s gotta be a way to get some of that joy back without screwing my treatment.

1 Like

Your title is incorrect and itā€™s implications are not what the article says

ā€œThe study results showed that hallucinations and positive expectations for the future were significantly associated with grandiose delusions, ā€

All it says is that people are positive when they have grandiose delusions. That in no way implies that they are good or a coping mechanism

1 Like

Being optimistic doesnā€™t change the fact that delusional or psychotic people are mostly unable to function in society. They canā€™t hold down a job, help their families, sometimes they even neglect basic hygiene or think eating is not necessary.

1 Like

Iā€™m more confused than ever. @anon9798425 can you change the title to what you think the article means.

Can you just change the title to this thanks." Hallucinations, Optimism Help Maintain Grandiose Delusions in Schizophrenia"

@Moonwalker I think you missed this part:

ā€œThese findings suggest that individuals with grandiose delusions have more positive symptoms and are more optimistic about the future as part of the underlying psychological process associated with the maintenance of these delusions, which allow them to cope with stress and adversity caused by their disease.ā€

The article very much does suggest that this is a coping mechanism. However, it is of course just an interpretation.

@TheBest your title as it is now is not misleading.

1 Like

I guess it does say that. But itā€™s kind of like saying cancer helps you deal with weight gain

1 Like

I cope with delusions of grandeur thatā€™s why I posted it.

1 Like

I think theyā€™re suggesting that delusions and hallucinations may take a grandiose form partly as a coping mechanism, not that the delusions and hallucinations themselves are the coping mechanism.

I might be wrong though.

2 Likes

Thanks @anon9798425ā€¦

1 Like

A total of 109 psychotic patients were included in the study. The quality of life was significantly related to both the positive and negative coping strategies

Adaptive coping is understood as flexible and efficient, while maladaptive coping is rigid or socially inappropriate

The term ā€œcopingā€ describes conscious and unconscious psychic mechanisms, which individuals apply to deal with stress in adaptive ways.

The concept of coping is important in the current models of psychosis. People with psychotic disorders have been found to use predominately maladaptive coping strategies

The quality of life is positively correlated with the task- and avoidance-oriented coping styles

Kommescher et al12 examined the general coping patterns of individuals at clinically high risk of psychosis and investigated whether pre-therapy coping behavior plays a role in the prediction of responsiveness to early interventions. The outpatients with clinically high risk of psychosis were randomized into two treatment groups: 1) those receiving 1 year of the integrative psychological intervention (including cognitive behavioral therapy); and 2) those with supportive counseling. The participants relied significantly more on the negative than on the positive coping strategies,

Iā€™m just posting this because thereā€™s more than just positive coping skills.

i 100% relate
grandiose delusions are the boss

positivity and spiritual recognition of otherā€™s spirituality made it all a lot less paranoid than earlier on in my illness

3 Likes

I think Iā€™m in denial. All my delusions are so convenient. Iā€™m a hero in my own mind.

1 Like

Iā€™m not sure I coped with them but I was Jesus once upon a time.
Iā€™m sure many of us here have been Jesus lol.

2 Likes

what i donā€™t like about grandiosity is that you get landed in reality in a horrible way either by your own mind or by others. something like manic/depressive this grandiosity problem has a vicious cycle.

do you agree?

judy

3 Likes

I also have grandiose delusions. It keeps my mind positive. Then others proves me Iā€™m wrong and itā€™s even better. I feel somehow relieved.

2 Likes

Iā€™ve been Jesus the alien, Jesus the Messiah, Jesus the empress. Iā€™ve believed I was Beyonceā€™s twinā€¦lol

4 Likes

Grandiose ideas are like hypomania, or mild mania. I sometimes feel I am the saviour of the world, omniscient, omnipotent, omnipresent.

2 Likes

yeah one night ā€˜ā€˜jesusā€™ā€™ would randomly take over my identity and i wouldnt exist , then jesus would be referring to me in the 3rd person as just a vessel and telling everyone that. then i would revert back to myself and so on.

to this day i have no idea how that could ever of happened. well other than psychosis of course.

3 Likes