Grandfather in the icu in critical condition

This morning I awoke to a text message from my father saying the my grandfather was in the icu in critical condition in Arizona (I live in Montana) and that he was leaving for a flight to go see him but he didn’t want to wake me up. So we played phone tag all day and finally about 40 minutes ago he answered my call. Turns out my grandfather’s spleen had a small rupture in it that had probably occurred Monday of last week but thought his back just hurt until Friday when he was rushed to the hospital. At this point there was still not much cause for alarm until today when some test results came back and other events transpired. My father arrived in Arizona to my grandfather in almost complete organ failure. Only his heart is working right now and he is unconscious. The test results also came back saying he has leukemia. With all that said, I’m very sad about the situation but it’s almost better this way. He would be 87 on the 21st of this month so he had lived a full life and it’s better this way than if he had to suffer with leukemia for a few years until that killed him. I’m very thankful for the time we had and what an inspiration he was and is, I just wish I could say goodbye… I also feel like I haven’t been the best grandson to him because we only spoke a few times a year and only saw him once a year. My dad reassured me my grandpa did not feel I was a bad grandson by any means, but I wish I had been better about keeping in contact and now it’s too late. But like I said it’s better this way than if I did get to say goodbye to him. Love you Papa Paul.

3 Likes

I understand your feelings. My grandma passed away a few years ago, and I have similar feelings and regrets. I hope you find comfort and peace during this difficult time.

1 Like

I’m sorry about your grandfather. My mother died about 5 months ago and it hit me hard. I hope you can lean on your father or someone else if you need to.

1 Like

I’m sorry pharoutphrog.

1 Like

I am sorry to hear about your grandfather. It is tough to go through this. It’s been more than a decade since I lost my father to cancer so I can definitely relate. Take care.

1 Like

I’m sorry to hear about your grandfather, my grandfather died in December, but he also lived a full life.

Hope you recover from it soon.

1 Like

Sorry to hear about your grandfather, and I’m sure your dad is right about his feelings about you.

1 Like

Moved to Diagnosed.

Pixel.
(Wearing moderator hat)

@shutterbug sorry i’m new here and didn’t read the description for each category, assumed family was about matters of one’s family, not for the families of diagnosed. My appologies. :confused:

Sorry for your loss pharoutphrog.

1 Like

He officially passed away around 3 am US mountain time. He was a wonderful man and human being.

1 Like

I’m very sorry to hear of his passing. You have my thoughts and condolences.

I’m sorry, it’s never easy. Take care of yourself now. Be there for your family and my condolences.

1 Like

I’m sorry for your grandfather, that he had to pass on. He will live on in your mind until you pass on. We have to live with regret and remorse when we have been remiss and it has become impossible to correct the situation. Think kindly of yourself and him is about all you can do.

1 Like