Google Assistant

Google Assistant is like an app which is added by a Google update to your nougat or marshmallow phone.

It just gives me a search of websites with jokes.

@anubis The Google Assistant website says it’s coming soon to Marshmallow and Nougat phones so is it integrated with Android or an app for Android? Wikipedia says the initial release was last year and only in English.

Then you don’t have it. I wonder why.

I think it’s not really an app. It is integrated within Android. I’m not 100% sure. But what I know for sure is that you are not supposed to do anything to get it.

I don’t know. My settings, which google told me how to find, say I have Android 5.1.1 from 2016. Not sure which dessert type that is, lol.

I did a Google search and it seems you have Android Lollipop.

How did you see your Android version number?

Oh, OK that explains it. Maybe on my next phone.

I would like a digital butler.

@anubis It would make more sense that Google assistant be integrated with the Android o/s. This is still new software and it’s unlikely to come out in French so fast. But apparently the Google Home Smart Speaker is Google Assistant.

See that web page which says that it is available in my language.

1 Like

@anubis Oh really?! Whoa?! Google is picking up the pace with the variety of languages available. I just saw the snap shot of the smartphone settings. Google Assistant should be out.

I don’t know maybe you’re right but I’m 100% sure that Google wants the assistant to be available one day in the most languages possible in cell phones.

Maybe it takes time before you get the update. But I noticed that Google Assistant is now available in Canadian French within the Google Allo app on my cell phone since some weeks.

@anubis These Canadian carriers are usually behind software updates for Android smartphones. Nougat came out last August and I was only able to download it this April.

Haven’t played around with Google Allo yet.

1 Like

Google Assistant is already available with the Google Allo app. You can try it this way. But it is only messaging, not voice.

@anubis So you have to type in French for the Google Allo messaging app then…??? But you want the voice version of Google Assistant in French.

Couldn’t find any news of the French Google Assistant on Google News.

1 Like

I speak French so yes I want the French version. But you can use Google Allo with English language. All I had to do to switch language is to ask the assistant to speak Canadian French.

@anubis I guess you have to wait for the software update for your smartphone.

1 Like

Thanks but I’m a French Canadian, not a French. It may be not released at the same time in Canadian French than France French. But I saw somewhere that Canadian French will be one of the first language available other than English because Google want to release it quickly in Canada. :slightly_smiling_face: