Going cold turkey sober life now

so i got cyclic vomiting from weed, which i have smoked for several decades. i got it like 4 times this past year, the illness came out of nowhere. i got out of hospital a couple days ago and the doctor said no weed no alcohol your body can’t take it anymore.
so im going cold turkey off weed and alcohol. i knew i had a problem with alcohol but had only managed to decrease how much i draank, not cut it out entirely. so now i have no choice because vomiting is such ugh much pain and it felt like i was going to die (losing potassium in electrolytes can actually kill me tho, so it was not that much of a stretch).
im scared about how i will cope. i have anger issues from traumatic past including a lot from the mistreatment inside psych wards through my 20’s that i never really processed.

i am going to give away my weed and bongs to my cousin and paint more i guess. i dont know how to deal with mania and stuff without weed, so im very nervous. i knew it needed to happen tho, i kept distracting myself and stuffing more and more trauma down where i couldnt feel it anymore.

on the bright side, with all the sober time in the last couple days, i did clean a lot more and mowed the front lawn finally.

it is a big change, but i think i can do it. :slight_smile: thank you forum for existing yall have brought me much comfort and companionship in the past! *i get emotional a lot more last couple days lol, i guess that’s a side effect of sobriety. :heart:

11 Likes

Best of luck @HQuinn

2 Likes

Hugs to you ma’am.

I have some trauma too and I process it through my art.

You got this, and we’re here for you.

:heart:

1 Like

thanks all!!! @Montezuma i am planning on drawing, painting, and finally learning to sew with my brother sewing machine! i wanted to sew a bunch of bowties for cat collars and also cute tops for myself!

2 Likes

That’s awesome!! :+1:

I briefly went to community college for fashion construction and design but my symptoms and meds were really bad at the time so I had to drop out.

I’ve always wanted to learn how to sew and make clothes. :slight_smile:

1 Like

wow awwww that would’ve been so neat! you know one of my fb friends makes like cholo attire, zoot suit style pants and big tunics out of awesome mexican fabrics–and he is 100% self-taught!!! maybe check thrift stores for a cheap sewing machine and try it on your own time for funsies! or just get a needle and thread and learn by hand! *yes, threading is hard when meds give your hands the shakes, but there’s some threader thing that makes it easier it looks like a metal loop thing.

1 Like

Good luck! Have you considered joining AA? It might help you.

1 Like

i haven’t yet, but i will think about it now!!! thank you! i was going to get into therapy but maybe both!

2 Likes

That’s rad! Where I live I don’t see many of the Mexicans dressing like that, but when I do I always give them props lol!

That’s a really good idea though about getting a sewing machine and plugging away. I imagine there’s some classic sewing and apparel construction books floating around too.

1 Like

youtube omg i learned how to build a pc on youtube’s newegg channel–there’s def a ton on youtube!!!

1 Like

Sorry you have to go through all this, Decades ago I woke up one morning all hungover, throwing up and said to myself, I don’t need this in my life, been sober ever since and one feels much better in time,
Hope you can hang in there and stay in touch on the forum

2 Likes

thank youuu!!! yes, it’s not worth the health risks. :frowning: i will def be on here more! :heart:

2 Likes

I’m so proud of you! It’s a tough change for sure. But being more creative is wonderful therapy. As long as it’s not your only therapy. :joy: Can’t wait to see some of your creations!

2 Likes

When you were in the hospital,

Did they tell you you had this,

Cannabinoid Hyperemesis Syndrome | Cedars-Sinai.

?

1 Like

Yes that’s exactly what I have!!
@LED this is my first cat bow tie it needs work but I just made it!!

2 Likes

I went into the hospital twice last week,

Vomiting, extreme abdominal pain.

That’s what they told me I had too.

I’ll say cutting back has helped my stomach to feel a lot better.

2 Likes

I just quit drinking also. I haven’t had a drink in about 3 months. It doesn’t mix with my current medication well I couldn’t do it so I quit. It was a challenge to abstain for about the first two weeks. I save a lot of money.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.