Going back to school

So I was keeping this on the DL, but I am going back to school for Biology! I am only doing an associate’s for now, because it is much cheaper than a bachelor’s, and I already have a bachelor’s degree in art. I could technically get into a Master’s program already, if my undergrad grades had been good enough. But I kept getting waitlisted to master’s programs because I only have a 3.0, so I figured getting my associate’s will help me with

1. getting the prerequisite classes done for cheaper
  2. boosting my GPA so I look more competitive

I think my professional experience combined with a strong GPA and a science degree will make me much more attractive for master’s programs. I don’t worry about my grades this time around, because I have been stable for years, and I have much stronger organization skills now, plus I now know it is my right as a student to have access to disability services.

So yeah. Wish me luck!

27 Likes

Best of wishes you’ll ace it

1 Like

Good luck. Biology seems really interesting to me

3 Likes

wow, you will one day be a doctor in Biology !! I have a long time friend who got his degree in parasitology…now he works for big time science people and is rich…good for you !!

1 Like

I want to go into medical research, hopefully. I anticipate it will take roughly 6 years from now before I get a doctorate, if I even do. I might decide to hold off on the doctoral program until Starlet graduates, but I might go ahead and try. I have at least 2 years to decide, anyways.

3 Likes

Sounds exciting!
Good luck @Ninjastar!

1 Like

Is it behavioral science?? That’s a field I would be interested in if I could do anything I wanted In hypothetical land. Someone who does studies on either human or animal subjects to determine efficacy of drugs and stuff and whatnot.

Too bad most of the studies in the areas I’m interested in most people pretend these studies don’t exist :yawning_face: but one day they’ll get the credit they deserve.

Not behavioral science. The biological/chemistry side of things. I don’t want to do behavioral science anymore, though I did do that for like 8 years.

1 Like

I became interested in behavioral science because I like psychology and biology and I looked up what the two combined is because I realized that you can combine two of your fields together. That was my lofty goal when I went to community college a few years ago. The teacher knew I was crazy when I said that’s what I wanted to be I think, among other reasons. Oh to not make the same mistakes twice.

My grandiosity always prevented me from going back to school and doing well. Now I think I could handle it…once I turned 30 a lot of things seemed to change.

When I was in school the first time I was too quiet. Then went back was too talkative for my own good. Now I have a better balance.

One day :point_up: I will go back I hope. And I will be as serious as anyone about graduating, succeeding, etc…

When I went just to take a class for “personal enrichment”. I either got an A or an F.

Because the teacher sees you don’t take it so seriously and they fail you, or like in my art class she gave me an A just because she liked me And I gave a great final presentation, neglecting most of the other work. Still got an A.

Sorry if I HijackEd your thread a little

I know you will do well :wink:

Good work! I transferred out of community college a couple years ago. I’m planning on applying to grad school in probably a year. School is fun but I can’t wait to get to work.

2 Likes

Here’s hoping that in a few years time you post about a pass with distinction.

1 Like

Best of luck! I loved biology in college.

1 Like

What masters are you hoping to get into?

1 Like

Good luck with it. Studying can be so fulfilling

1 Like

I took biology classes in university and they were hard but maybe an associate is better to boost a GPA. I find Biochemistry easier to boost a GPA, most people in my university got in Biochemistry to boost their GPA and get in medicine or pharmacy. My brother’s ex got in pharmacy that way.

I had much higher grades in Psychology courses than Biology.

All the very best @Ninjastar :purple_heart:

1 Like

You never cease to amaze me, @Ninjastar

2 Likes

The course I took was Cell Biology. Got a C. I took 4 psychology courses and I got A’s in most of them.

I’m hoping to get into the PhD neuroscience program

2 Likes