Getting "toned" is a hoax

Goddamn I hate that word…

There is no “toned”. The muscle can be big or small. The fat can be abundant or scarce.

“Toned” is a combination of bigger muscles and lower body fat. Period.

Especially lower body fat, which makes striation (veins popping) and muscle separation visible. Muscle size also makes “toning” easier, without the need to be that low in body fat.

Idk why people believe in “toning” workouts, which often involve doing lots of cardio, which is inneficient for muscle building and fat loss. (But they are great for overall health). For two reasons: lifting grows muscle exponentially better, and diet is the most important factor of fat loss. Look up the calories burned in your cardio session.

So, lift heavy and eat healthy (and less), if you want to “tone”…

I’m looking at you @Zoe :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

6 Likes

This was informative and interesting thank you

3 Likes

Unfortunately I don’t have the strength for heavy lifting which is why toning via pilates is my next better option. (due to the antipsychotic)

I see what you are saying about weight loss and muscle definition.

That’s pretty obvious now that I think about it but I never realised until you said it now.

It’s good to Good to know that.

1 Like

That’s another hoax.

What do you mean?

I’m serious I can’t.

2 Likes

You can, at least to a reasonable degree.

It’s not a hoax clozapine made me so weak that I could barely walk up hills

5 Likes

So you could do pilates and hour long cardio sessions but not lift somewhat heavy?

It’ an excuse.

I find pilates also requires resistance kind of exercise which lifting does too, and it suits me better in terms of my capability.

1 Like

yea i hate when they try to sell devices that “target” problem areas like those electrode devices that shock your stomach or whatever and they claim to get rid of belly fat. You dont really get to chose where you lose fat. They claim it “melts fat away” looool such bad pseudoscience.

3 Likes

You sure? Is not because you’re self conscious? That’s what you told us.

Anyways, if you make excuses for it, the only one that you are doing a disservice is yourself

Oh man the “target zones”…

Don’t get me started lol

1 Like

It’s not an excuse. I can do pilates at home. I don’t need to pay for a class.and be around ppl

3 Likes

Yea I don’t like that stuff either.

I even feel suspicious of it.

2 Likes

@dreamer54 what are you lifting?
I would like to build muscle, specifically my lats

1 Like

What do you mean?

1 Like

I was able to lift and run 10k on Invega. It was impossible also to go to the gym longer than 2 weeks on haloperidol, that med drained me

1 Like

What weight are you using and how are you doing are you using a bench press

1 Like

70 kgs bench
80 squats
90 deadlift.
For reps. It’s not much, but I’m only 2 months in.

Why you ask?

3 Likes

I used to have a very toned body from rock climbing and being skinny.

I could lose a bit of weight around the belly now. But I’m happy having a toned body is not at all relevant anymore. In self and others. I’ll wear a dress or shirt that is a bit more loose. And work on having a more toned personality for now. :innocent:

1 Like