Getting a cavity

I get a cavity every few months. Does anyone have this?

I brush my teeth for 20 minutes every evening after dinner, and lightly in the morning. I make a dental check on a regular basis. And I still get a new cavity every few months.

1 Like

20 mins my golly gosh that is long

4 Likes

Maybe try a morning brush

Maybe try a morning brush on your teeth

A lot of the meds give you dry mouth, especially if your a mouth breather already, then, if you eat/drink anything with sugar-or the like, it’s double duty to get cavities.

1 Like

I try to breathe through my nose as much as possible but I might have an allergic rhinitis and it’s sometimes difficult. At least my mouth isn’t dry when awake in the morning.

But my lips are always dry and I need a chapstick 24/7. I drink water throughout the day. I guess my meds are causing dry mouth more than I realize.

1 Like

Overbrushing can wear down your enamel. Brushing for one minute should be sufficient, as long as you’re also flossing. Crest pro health is a new toothpaste with stannous fluoride instead of sodium fluoride. It’s supposed to be stronger. And listerine makes a flouride mouthwash. Trident gum with xylitol is supposed to help your teeth stay strong.

I have genetically bad teeth, and used to get cavities all the time. Now, I only get one every couple years.

3 Likes

You could be over-brushing, like ninjastar says. I haven’t brushed my teeth in a long time, and my cavities are still basically the same as they were two years ago when I last saw a dentist.

1 Like

How often do u brush your teeth

Embarrassingly, I haven’t in months except for once yesterday before my job interview.

Damn girl that’s manky

2 Likes

I know! I gotta work on that again, It’s the only chore I haven’t gotten myself to do yet.

1 Like

Use a dental floss, mouthwash, electric toothbrush and do it after every meal.

2 Likes

Over brushing can also wear down the gum just so you know

@Ninjastar
@anon90843118

So how often a day do you brush your teeth and how long (I know it isn’t the length of time that’s important but how clean you brush) do you brush at a time?

1 Like

Is that too much? I always hear that two minutes is good enough. And I personally find it kind of hard even to go the full two minutes. I remember in a health class in college the teacher gave us the ingredients of a typical toothpaste and it had some kind of abrasive in it. You don’t want to wear your enamel out.

4 Likes

The length of time is absolutely important if you’re going for 20 minutes. I brush for about a minute after breakfast before rinsing with mouthwash, and brush, floss, and mouthwash before bed. Depending on what I eat and if I have time, I also brush for a minute after lunch, but don’t use mouthwash then. I can’t remember if you’re in the US or not, but it’s important to only use soft-bristled brushes. Those are the only kind you can buy in America. Other countries may have stiffer bristles still, I don’t know.

There is also a product called Agent Cool Blue, in with kid’s mouthwash. If you’re worried that one minute isn’t enough for you, just rinse with Agent Blue before brushing. It dyes your mouth blue, but if you brush effectively, it all disappears. After brushing, if there are any blue spots left behind, you know you didn’t brush there well enough. You should also be brushing your tongue and cheeks. There are special toothbrushes with a scrubbing surface on the back designed especially for this purpose. Crest 360 or similar toothbrushes work well.

1 Like

Overbrushing never occured to me, but 20 minutes includes flossing. But still it’s over 10 minutes.

I have a history of never brushing during severe negatives and ended up developing periodontal disease and lots of cavities. That got me and since then I focused too much on cleaning my teeth.

I read on books on teeth brushing. I’ve never learned anything about teeth brushing at school.

1 Like

This is a pretty good guide. It says two minutes of toothbrushing, and also that you should wait 30 minutes or so after eating, to best protect your enamel.

2 Likes

@bananatto, I’ve never heard in my life of someone brushing their teeth for ten minutes at a time. But then again, the subject doesn’t come up much in regular conversation.

1 Like