Gagging problems

@anon4362788, I think you can level up your humming solution.

Whilst humming, place your hand gently on your throat and tilt your head up and down. Keep your eyes open whilst you do this. Try to find the angle at which your throat is the most open, with the least scratchiness or irritation. Try it without your hand on throat too.

Once you’ve found the right angle, remember it. Next time you feel like gagging, hum like you normally do, but with your head at that magic angle. This should create optimal openness of the throat. Eyes should be open, but hand on your throat is optional.

Growling like a monster might also be an upgrade from humming.

That’s good advice, thanks!

But, growling might make my husband and kids wonder wtf is wrong with me. Lol, I think I will try it just to mess with them.

1 Like

If I get even just a tiny bit of dust in my throat I’ll gag and I’m likely to throw up. It used to be a big problem at work. I ran for the door many times to get outside to throw up away from people. I found the simplest solution that works is a piece of butterscotch candy. It produces saliva and coats my throat and works about 95% of the time. I tried other hard candy but the only other one that works is a piece of Jolly Ranchers. I always keep 3 or 4 pieces of candy in my pocket for emergencies. I buy a three lb. bag of butterscotch candy off of Amazon about every three or four months.

1 Like

Does a bit of bile come up with it?

1 Like

@77nick77 that’s a great idea. I love butterscotch. I wonder if hard caramels would do that same thing. They’re easier to find at the local store.

@Cragger yeah, if I gag long enough. I sometimes throw up. I’ve done it twice in the past week while freaking walking to the store l. Embarrassing

1 Like

Wow, maybe acid reflux? Obviously you’ll be talking to your doctor but that one

No, I don’t spit acid. It’s just gagging until I puke at times. Dry gags for a while

I used to gag from dry mouth caused by cogentin. Especially in the morning and I threw up every now and then. My doctor had me stop the cogentin and now mornings are fine.

IDK if the caramels would work. Butterscotch just has the right consistency while most other candies I tried produced “thin”, watery saliva. Butterscotch candy just has enough consistency to coat my throat and prevent gagging. And it tastes great.
!

Relax your throat. Trust your natural instinct of swallowing

This topic was automatically closed 95 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.