Funny word pronunciations

In American English we don’t like the first letter r for some reason on random words, examples
February
Library
Turmeric
All those words we don’t day the first r
The word cupboard we say as “cubbard”
Comfortable is pronounced “comftorble”
Wednesday is “wensday”
The older I get the more I really understand that all words were just made up by random people and we’re all just walking about making sounds and flapping our lips and trying to make sense of everything, life is chaos

7 Likes

Language is a living thing and changes in time. Spelling stays the same while pronunciation might change.

Irregular plurals used to knock me out while learning English as a kid/teen.
Why not: mouses, dies, cactuses, childs, toothes, sheeps, etc. ??

1 Like

I say libRary and comfoRtable and cupboaRd

1 Like

I’m British, but I find it really weird that Americans don’t say the “h” in herb. First of all, we do in Britain. But secondly because American English is usually simplifying words and making spelling more logical. I wonder what the historical reason is.

1 Like

From where I was in Nevada the food type thing Americans don’t say the h in herb, but if it’s someone’s name they do. I do like American English slang tho
“Yo fam that taco bell low key was hella lit no cap”

1 Like

I know. I’m so sorry :persevere:

Sometimes when I speak with my British friends online I’ll switch over to British English as a courtesy. Like I’ll say ‘bloke’ in place of dude/guy. Or I’ll say ‘she’s at university’ instead of ‘she’s in college’ or ‘he’s in hospital’. Here in the states we say ‘he’s in the hospital’.

1 Like

That’s an interesting point. Really. Because Britain colonized the USA you’d think we’d talk like the Brits but we don’t.

https://en.m.wiktionary.org/wiki/zerbert#Noun

@mjseu hey. Here’s a lesson in the English language for you

2 Likes

The city about 10 miles away is Campbell. I grew up in this area and never heard anyone say CamP-bell.
It’s always pronounced Cam-bell. Even the second syllable is a little odd. It’s rarely pronounced as “bell” (as in the Liberty Bell). It’s pronounced a little between “bell” and “bull”. It is
pronounced Cam-bul. But spelled Campbell.

2 Likes

We say it like that here too. Like Camble’s soup.

2 Likes

Ah, a comment coming from a local girl.

2 Likes

I’ve heard from people that lived there that new Orleans is pronounced “norlins” nothing it what it seems

2 Likes

In my state there is the Kanawha County. Here we pronounce it ‘Ka-naw’.

1 Like

Why do Americans say garage in such a posh way, yet mock British (Southern) accents for being ‘posh’ in their crass stereotypes of British people?

We say garage in a posh way?

I always thought Colonel(pronounced “Kernal”) was a weird one. It sounds nothing like it’s spelling.

3 Likes

When I hear Americans say it on the TV, it makes me cringe

2 Likes
2 Likes