Functional level decrease and negative symptoms, how did they appear?

How and when did they appear? Gradually?

For me they started 3yrs before my diagnosis. I read a study that said 73% of szics had their negative symptoms appear before their diagnosis and before their positive symptoms.

They got worse gradually with time but now are stable and not getting worse or better. I just learned to ignore them and not complain or get down/depressed about it so I am a bit happier.

This is thread I made about the study:

1 Like

" “ Negative symptoms commonly appear during the prodromal phase of schizophrenia and before the first acute psychotic episode (Figure 2). Among patients with negative symptoms , 73% had them before the onset of positive symptoms and 20% experienced them within the same month as positive symptoms ”

1 Like

I first started to notice my Anhedonia shortly before my first episode. I remember having a hard time enjoying things that I used to enjoy. It wasn’t nearly as severe as it is now though. As for the rest of my negatives, I didn’t really notice them until after I had had my episodes but they could very well have been slowly sneaking up on me. I was working two jobs prior to sz hitting though so I don’t think my “Lack of motivation” was there at the time.

1 Like

Yes, I had that too before my diagnosis.

1 Like

Hard to say, I was in the throes of substance abuse as SZ approached. I know that I was using a lot of speed towards the end as I had very little energy. Not sure what was due to SZ and what was due to addiction. It was horrible when the SZ really hit because I would go catatonic for extended periods. Started to become more manageable when I accepted my DX, stopped fighting meds, and got on the recovery train.

I still feel exhausted 99% of the time but I gained the ability to push back at some point.

2 Likes

I noticed it around 6 years after my first big episode. It probably was a bit gradual but I noticed it around 2016- 2017.

2016 I had flat affect for about a year I was completely monotone it was bizarre. Then it just went away one day. And I felt slower, had the blips of feeling almost catatonic staring at walls feeling and lack motivation/ avolition.

I just get by with caffeine and forcing myself to do things. Developing a refusal to quit attitude

1 Like

I’ve noticed it after my second hospitalization… I remember just wanting to sit and lie down.

It got worse after moving to Japan… anhedonia, apathy, catatonia blunt effect depression.

I fight with dopamine

Mood stabilizers and antidepressants.

I may have bipolar or SZA for my mood problems.

1 Like

For me the couple of years before a first admission, and an official dx, were marked by increased anxiety and depression. I’d been on a decline academically for years, but it accelerated in the 18 months or so before that 1st psych admission. I can’t remember experiencing a lot of pleasure. The most enjoyable thing was swimming in the lake of Zurich in the summer of 1974.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.