Full Recovery

In my pdoc’s opinion full recovery means to have not symptoms, to have good cognition, to have a job, to do a sport, to have a net of social relationship, to have a net of interests, to have a good family as support. This conditions stabilize our mental health. Despite of my six episotic epysodes, considerating my several skills, my pdoc considerate to discontinuate my meds. In some months he’s going to reduce the dosage and then eliminate them in a couple of years. What do you think about this

2 Likes

I’m not messing with my meds!!! I’ve been hospitalized 6 times for psychosis 2 times for suicidal ideation and 2 times for overdose.

I’m doing well too now. Don’t have a job but can’t complain. I know I can’t come off my meds due to past history though.

Welcome to the forum @anon84986721 :slightly_smiling_face:

follow doctors’ instruction

1 Like

Tell your dr. Full recovery should involve feeling mentally good as well

Good luck! Getting off meds is what I am aiming for at the moment. How do you feel about it?

I feel good but I can yet improve.
I’m tired of taking medicine because of their sexual side effects. So I’m excited about what the pdcoc thinks. Even if it takes a long time to discontinue them completely.

@anon98459728
Have you already started discontinuing them? Did your pdoc tell you that? Doing it without the doctor’s opinion is very dangerous and is an attempt to fail

1 Like

I have not discussed it with him yet. He knows that I do not hear voices anymore and do not get delusions, but I only see him once a year, so no not yet. I have been stable for a while now even if I still am a bit quiet sometimes. But I would like to think that some point in my life I would be ready to come off them and get on with life.

@anon98459728 I understand you perfectly and you have all my understanding. In my opinion it is not enough not to have delusions and hallucinations or to be motivated. Certainly that is a starting point but it is necessary to have a full life so that the withdrawal of the antipsychotic does not cause the detachment that can be the trigger of the relapse. About 82% of patients fall back after a psychotic episode but this percentage can be reduced by positive predictive factors such as work, friends, relationships, family, sports, etc. Speak about it with your psichiatrist

1 Like

Well, I work, have good friends, although I have not had a girlfriend since before the illness, I put a dating profile up a couple of weeks ago, I get along with my family well and am hiking a 143 km trail next month. My quality of life is good. I have a lot of issues though, but I dont think I would ever become psychotic because of them.

Best of luck!

1 Like

Welcome to the forum, @anon84986721! I’m glad you are at a better place! I respect and appreciate what your psychiatrist says. I would also add what @anon12381882 said, feeling good mentally. I do all of those things, except I volunteer instead of work, but I am still depressed.

I think it is worth a try to go off of your meds
WITH A DOCTOR’S GUIDANCE
WITH STRONG SUPPORT
WITH HONESTY ABOUT YOUR SYMPTOMS
WITH A WILLINGNESS TO GO BACK ON

Sometimes you have to try just to know! I get that! But the recovery could be due to being on meds, and it’s risky to stop them. The right dosage and combination doesn’t always work if you have to go back on!

Hoping the best for you! Rooting for you!

1 Like

I have not been on medication in two years and was only on it for 5-6 months after diagnosis , in fact I have therapy instead. My cognition improved severely as I struggled to read and write on medication. I lost the weight I had gained and was able to return back to the gym and be more social. In my case the only problems I find is that they symptoms are inconsistent. They change all the time. Day by day, week to week and month to month.

Depending on what is transpiring, My symptoms are at the lower end of the scale but in the presence of stress they are higher. It is important to highlight here that I am not just referring to positive symptoms but negative and cognitive. We all respond differently to treatment and I am unqualified to advise, but in my case I respond better to psychological treatment than the drugs.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 95 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.