Friend in group is suicidal...nothing I can do

My friend Tony just sits while tears roll down his face when he’s asked how he is doing by our therapist…it’s family oriented his lament. ex wife holding back their children from him. I think he could die any week but he keeps showing up…most of the time he just sits there while every one else tells funny stories and sometimes laugh… I don’t laugh…I just keep looking at Tony. I asked him outside of group if he wanted to get together and he said he’s too busy. I know that’s not true. He doesn’t do anything but visit his folks…oh well. I pray for him all the time.

7 Likes

I want to talk to him , I will talk him out of it.

2 Likes

A B-Vitamin deficiency is linked to depression, maybe suggest a B-100 complex for him, worth a try.

1 Like

Your a good friend @jukebox, don’t give up asking him every time you see him, even if he turns you down each time, it tells him you care.

When I was very depressed in my first marriage, my (ex) husband’s sister used to invite me over to her house for dinner, but I’d turn her down because I was just too down and didn’t want to depress everyone else.
She did this for a few years.
One day I actually felt better and accepted. She was surprised I finally accepted, and it was a good time.
I told her how much I appreciated her for never giving up on me all that time.
We are still close today.

3 Likes

thanks @Csummers I loaned him twenty bucks at Christmas time and I think he feels bad because he can’t pay me back. He’s very poor. he’s got health problems but he won’t stop smoking. I won’t give up on him thanks so much!

3 Likes

You have said you’d like to meet with him just give him his space and allow him time he may come round but don’t keep asking him

1 Like

But if you want to help him you need to make yourself available. You can’t really do much more than that.

1 Like