Freud , the founder of modern psychology?

Also, even if you don’t like philosophy, the moment you start giving arguments against it you are using philosophy at that moment.

1 Like

I noticed you mentioned BF Skinner. Are you a proponent of his philosophy of radical behaviorism and how we should completely change society and take away some of our civil liberties in order to modify behavior in a way that coheres more with “science”? I consider the guy some what of a crackpot based on philosophy lectures I’ve heard on him.

1000% agreed. I’ve commented on the Forum several times that blaming parents, older siblings, ex-bosses or even the cult-ure as a whole proved to be entirely counter-productive for this paranoid delusional.

2 Likes

Same, same in my FoO house. I agree with you about the described behavior of other family members. I’ve seen exactly what you listed and more, including “odd explanations” and “confusing communication styles,” as well as “subtly communicated expectations of behavior the children couldn’t possibly live up (or down) to.”

And much, much “grosser” misconduct including battering and denial thereof followed by ceremonial presentations of lavish gifts, and “supported sexualizing” in which the sz pt was used as a sexual receptacle as a child by a family bully who cowed everyone else in the family into denying that such things were occurring (causing de-real-zation in the child’s mind).

I like Freud’s theories on cigars.

1 Like

15 characters …

??? ??? ??? (“15 characters.”)

It means he wrote something, changed his mind, erased it completely and substituted the words “15 characters”. We don’t have a delete button on here anymore so this is how you delete a post.

TYVM. (The mechanical mandates on this word processors do seem “odd.”)

I think Freud was right about his thoughts on man’s sex drive being suppressed as causing a lot of problems for a SZ’ individual to deal with on top of normal obstacles he will have to deal with. It’ very un-natural to suppress this most prominent drive of all creatures, but as humans we do “not” have to be subject to our own instincts. Because, I think that being a bit delusional increases the will to survive in trying to be that person we would like or need to be. First the thought then the action.

I’ve actually read Freud. A lot. I had to for a reason. So let’s play “connect the dots.”

He made some mistakes. The biggest one he made may have been at the point of a proverbial gun to his head. There was no Dept. of Public Social Services in Vienna back in 1895. Most of Freud’s patients were wealthy… and the children of the wealthy. Most of them were women (more than 3:1, according to his own files). Many of them were “hysterical.”

Many of them had been abused. Sexually. By members of their own families.

Freud and Eugen Bleuler wrote a book called Studies on Hysteria. It was published in 1895. In it, they asserted that hysteria was the product of repressed memories of having been severely abused by persons the child trusted and viewed as vital to the child’s survival. In Freud’s view, the child was forced to drive the memories out of consciousness in order to remain in what one might now call “protective custody.”

The #### hit the fan in Vienna. Within a year, Freud evidently felt compelled to retract his trauma theory in favor of a notion that small children seduced their parents. At the time, I don’t think Freud figured on becoming the biggest name there was in the German- and English-speaking psychiatric worlds. His retraction set the field back seventy years.

And had it not been for Ono van der Hart’s translations in the 1970s of Pierre Janet’s work (in French, in Paris in the 1880s and 1890s) – along with Alice Miller’s, Diana Russell’s and Judith Lewis Herman’s whistle blowing on child sexual abuse at the same time – we might still be BELIEVING what the rich in Vienna arguably put Freud up to.

Freud himself – albeit obliquely – recanted his original recanting when he got to America in the 1930s. By then, however, Freudianism had become a “professional religion.” And the True Believers would not hear of it. They had their belief, and that was it.

Some of you know how I raise a ruckus on this forum about the perils of un-examined belief. Now you know at least part of the reason why.

1 Like

http://www.scienceandnonduality.com/videos/consciousness-and-modern-physics-the-limits-of-science/

“Consciousness is either an emergent property based on the brain, a fundamental feature of the universe related to quantum mechanics and entanglement, or is something more fundamental than the physical world. What does the evidence show?”

& how many of you are even aware of the incredible work/findings of Emanuel Swedenborg? Who lived what Jung could only hint at in symbol.

But still - i need to more fully accept & understand that the vast majority of people are happiest living in the physical & that for them there is Nothing else.

2 Likes

Actually - I think that the founders of modern psychology are much more likely to be identified now as Albert Ellis and Aaron Beck.

and

I think most people stay within the limits of their experience, which is the physical world. Relatively few are interested in really personally exploring the world beyond the physical, and most have only the most nebulous concept that it exists. Swedenborg was an extraordinary exception in that.

But I do think that the masses are very slowly expanding their view, mindfulness and yoga are the leading point of a wedge which starts with the physical but which leads towards a more complete realisation of body and mind, and so a kind of spirituality.

Yup. & they’re right, because they live only in the physical. which is their belief. which mind strengthens, & intellect proves with ego. They’ll never see anything else, it’s not possible, if someone can’t move beyond that, through an experience that opens other beliefs/perceptions. Not worth trying to make people see - that’s one of my lessons, people are happiest where they are, & best left undisturbed.

I do think it is worthwhile to make visible to others the portals of knowledge, sometimes you will come across someone who is ready to take another step and evolve their beliefs. Functioning as a guide for those who are ready is better than trying to be a missionary.

That makes sense & you are right. It just frustrates me, especially concerning the implications it has for mental health.

Yeah I put a question mark on that. He is one of the most identifiable theorist of early psychology and is still thought today. I too have heard the fraud charges against Freud and most people in the science field think his methods as psuedoscientific. Freud though was a man , if nothing else , who was emersed in his ‘trade’ and had a long long life.

But this is nothing new I have seen modern psychologist link schizophrenia with borderline personality disorder traits. Its a view that pervades the psychology fraternity to this very day.

Stay in the Box

Oh his taken to the hills , taking potshots , I can only assume. @shutterbug can you lockup.