Schizophrenia.com

"Freedom from responsibility is more attractive than freedom from restraint"

“People whose lives are barren and insecure seem to show a greater willingness to obey than people who are self-sufficient and self-confident. To the frustrated, freedom from responsibility is more attractive than freedom from restraint. They are eager to barter their independence for relief from the burdens of making decisions, and being responsible for inevitable – if occasional – failures. They will willingly abdicate the directing of their lives to those who want to plan, command and shoulder all responsibility… and then complain vociferously when those to whom they have turned over their lives don’t rescue them according to their preferences.”

– closely paraphrased from Eric Hoffer’s classic, The True Believer (1951)

Comments?

3 Likes

This might be correct for those with a local insecurity, and it doesn’t look fair to act such.

I think, however, that when there is a thorough insecurity, the decision to hand over direction to others is itself a remarkable achievement. What is the context in which the others, those who want to plan etc. act the way they do? It is their self-confidence. This does not show in them making decisions easily, it consists of them not even having to decide at all on most matters. For one who has to decide on everything, like a thorough insecurity implies, a local decision becomes quite impossible (regress). It seems to me that the confident are only possible to willingly make local decisions against the background of their global confidence in action on other matters. To make a reasonable decision on anything, many other things will have to stand fast for you, on which one can base a decision. This is what makes it a reasonable decision. If one lost security all together, such that one will have to decide on everything, reasonable decision is quite impossible. What may look like such, is more like a leap of faith than a decision.

1 Like

Victor Frankl said that next to the Statue of Liberty we should have a Statue of Responsibility.

I’m sure that the quote is true for some people, but it seems way to simple to actually be true for most. But I only have myself to compare this to so maybe I’m just weird.

Rebels have had to learn street smarts.

Some may have to learn everything the hard way.

Personally, I want no restraints.

I decide.

I have a few books from Eric Hoffer. They were handed down from my parents.
My son. But he is in trouble now, out of control.

Painfully apt about me.