Four years to go

When you’re at work and they tell you to something you hate. I was so tired today. I went to bed at 1:00 am and woke up at 5:00 am and tossed and turned until I had to get up for work at 8:00 am. I got up exhausted and stayed that way all day. My job isn’t complicated: it’s vacuuming or cleaning restrooms or mopping a gym. You might say it’s tedious.

Today was vacuuming day and they switched me from the North side to the South side. I work in a long office building broken in half by a lobby. We have the North wing and the South wing. So I vacuumed where I haven’t vacuumed in years. I finished early and the boss told me to vacuum the DIUX. It’s the area where engineers invent things I guess or improve existing things. It’s huge, just a massive expanse of carpet in three large rooms.

When I started my heart sank just looking at all that carpet. I knew I would be in there more than an hour. If I vacuumed carefully it should have taken me two hours or more but I just “spot vacuumed” i.e. just strolled around the areas that looked like they needed it the most. Before I started I really didn’t feel like being there. I was asking myself, “Why am I doing this”? I want to be home sitting on the couch on my laptop or sitting at the park sipping a Coke. I really had to force myself to start. And I’m 61 and probably can’t retire before I’m 65. Four more years of this crap?

4 Likes

I understand
I’m a vacuum guy myself
It’s my responsibility to vacuum large spaces on the first floor of an office building
5 pods with about 20+ cubicles and spaces in them plus great lobby and floor spaces
I know it really sucks sometimes but I ‘fake it till i make it’ and just try and enjoy it
I lucked out today and my supervisor is super cool and let me out early :slightly_smiling_face:

3 Likes

I feel your pain matey. I can do a job but full time is just too much for me. Even my volunteering takes it out of me so I’m soon to be rid of that…I know you live in an expensive part of the country but is disability worth a look? I’m unsure of your system. Over here it’s basically sit on disability or get a job and there really isn’t any wiggle room…

I rely heavily on support from my family but still. Best thing I ever did was move sideways in life and get on a pension over here. It’s worth investigating but I assume you know all the loopholes and such…

3 Likes

Yeah, SSI is fer sure the way to go
Section 8, food stamps, part time work, SSDI and frugality keeps my boat afloat
You probably don’t need to hear it, but life’s about resources

1 Like

Yeah, it sucked today because I was so tired. I have to remind myself of when I had to unload three 52’ trucks a week back in the 1990’s.
This job is a piece of cake compared to that. And it has its perks. We get off early sometimes too and I got to sit down for an extra 10 minute break today in the afternoon. But being a vacuum guy I guess you can feel my pain.

1 Like

Yeah, I’ve been getting disability for years. It helps me survive.

3 Likes

Oh yeah, I lug around this huge bulky 25 lb vacuum on my back with a hose and extension cord that gets tangled in everything
It’s like a jet pack of ghost busters ghost sucker
Everyday I go home and my feet are cramped and my body is stiff

2 Likes

Yeah, we got new ones. They strap on our back but they only weigh about 15 lbs. They’re cordless too.

2 Likes

Oh wow — my job would be sooo much easier if my vacuums were battery powered
It’s a royal pain in the butt with extension cords

2 Likes

I haven’t had a job like that in about 25 years. I didn’t escape anything, life’s been a chore, working hard at nothing sucks, and I’ve had to fight to stay alive. I believe doing what you’re doing you avoid a lot of nastiness the disease produces.

1 Like

Well I’m 38 and already tired lol. I don’t even think I’ll make it to 65 but who knows.

2 Likes

I feel your pain, @77nick77 I hope you have better days coming.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.