Four new genetic diseases defined within schizophrenia

Changes in key genes clearly define four previously unknown conditions within the umbrella diagnosis of schizophrenia, according to a study led by researchers from NYU Langone Medical Center published online April 28 in EBioMedicine, a Lancet journal. Cases associated with changes in each of the four genes were different from each other in terms of symptoms, intelligence level and other disease features.

Unlike “big data” genetic studies, which have loosely linked hundreds of genetic changes to schizophrenia but cannot explain varying symptoms, the new study revealed distinct disease versions that may affect large slices of patients and enable precision treatment design, say the authors.

“A common fallacy is that schizophrenia can be treated as a single disease,” says NYU Langone psychiatrist and lead study author Dolores Malaspina, MD. "Our biologically driven study begins to answer longstanding questions in the field about why any two people diagnosed with schizophrenia may have drastically different symptoms. For the first time, we have defined four syndromes mechanistically.

Full Story here:

6 Likes

Awesome news …we still need more…
Waiting for it…:alien:

Interesting. Now to see if the results can be replicated.

2 Likes

That’s interesting, it’s the first time I’ve seen results like this explain different disease presentations and progressions. I can kind of sort people here into separate buckets - I’d probably fall into the last group, or maybe the third one.

1 Like

I found this to be a very interesting article. Not all studies are replicated, correct? Does that negate a study’s findings entirely? How do we know when and if a study will be replicated?