Found some old (but not expired) NAC. Took 1200mg

This article suggests there’s a particular genetic profile for who benefits, and they estimate a third of people… so unfortunately that might be what’s going on.

1 Like

Maybe that’s it. But I’m wondering if it has a subtle interaction with abilify because the way I felt was like abilify withdrawal.

1 Like

I just started taking it 600 mg a day :thinking: I don’t like to take it because I have to eat a lot of protein with it.

I donno.

1 Like

Can it do some damage?I’m taking it for a flue.

1 Like

N-acetyl cysteine is LIKELY SAFE for most adults, when used as a prescription medication. It can cause nausea, vomiting, and diarrhea or constipation. Rarely, it can cause rashes, fever, headache, drowsiness, low blood pressure, and liver problems.

Bleeding disorder. N-acetyl cysteine might slow blood clotting. There is concern that N-acetyl cysteine might increase the risk of bruising and bleeding in people with bleeding disorders.

Surgery. N-acetyl cysteine might slow blood clotting. This might increase the risk of bleeding during and after surgery. Stop taking N-acetyl cysteine at least 2 weeks before a scheduled surgery.

3 Likes

Why do you eat protein with it?

According to what I’ve read you can take it with or without food.

I have the ‘now’ brand and it says on it

Take 1 capsule a day with a protein containing meal.

Hmm, when I google “nac with or without food” seems most of them say either.

I use a different brand but it doesn’t say either way.

Since it doesn’t give an amount of protein that is required, did you know an 8 oz glass of lowfat milk has about 10 grams of protein?

1 Like

I drink cashew milk so I will check if I can take it with that. I really want to give this a try. I am willing to try a lot of things just to be at peace. The intrusive thoughts are unbearable at times.

1 Like

I’m actually desperate enough to try NAC again. I’ll try taking it at night instead to see if I can sleep through the side effects.

BUT first I’m going to try L-Carnosine. If that doesn’t work out then it’s back to nac at night. My order of L-carnosine should arrive soon.

I have been taking 600 mg NAC every day at lunch. I don’t know if I should try 1200 instead?
I don’t notice any difference except some acid reflux

1 Like

It takes 2-3 months to notice anything apparently…

1 Like

yeah maybe I’ll wait another 8 weeks.

1 Like

Right. Seeing as l-carnosine didn’t work out.

I’m going to try NAC again but this time at half the dose. I.e. 600mg a day.

I hope I catch a break.

1 Like

Seems reasonable. I take 600mg and 45 minutes later meditate. I can definitely feel it. I felt it after my first dose and didn’t need to wait (2-3 months everyday) so long for an effect. I noticed a difference with l theanine as well, but it is not as pleasant as NAC in my humble opinion.

2 Likes

That’s encouraging. I’ll report back with my own progress on 600mg. I seem to have bad luck with supplements though. :frowning:

Hey @everhopeful you don’t do poems anymore?

1 Like

No I don’t. Thanks for asking about them though. :sunny:

1 Like

Do you take nac at any particular time of day?

I get up at 8.30-9am, have a cup of tea then do some sudarshan kriya breathing for 10 minutes, then meditate for 20 minutes. Then I relax, shower, then breakfast of muesli. Then I take NAC at around 10.15/30 am and chill. I wait 45 minutes then meditate for 30 minutes. NAC really helps with that, adding to the meditation experience.

1 Like