Found some old (but not expired) NAC. Took 1200mg

Well the new batch of NAC I ordered arrived today. I might be getting a placebo effect from the NAC I’d already been taking. I feel like I want to go out. I’m not going out as it’s too much hassle. But at least I have a desire to go out.

2 Likes

I took NAC 600mg today for the first time. It is nicer than L theanine in my opinion. I won at countdown today, in fact I thrashed them. I am definitely feeling it. It is not as limiting at l theanine made me feel. It is pleasant. A little light headed, but not depressing at all.

1 Like

This feeling is just getting worse. I think I might end the experiment. I was on NAC for just 20 days.

1 Like

How much were you taking each day? What exactly were the negative feelings - can you explain a little more?

1 Like

I was taking 1200mg a day just like in one of the studies. It made me feel uncomfortably foggy headed for most of the day. It just didn’t work out for me.

This article suggests there’s a particular genetic profile for who benefits, and they estimate a third of people… so unfortunately that might be what’s going on.

1 Like

Maybe that’s it. But I’m wondering if it has a subtle interaction with abilify because the way I felt was like abilify withdrawal.

1 Like

I just started taking it 600 mg a day :thinking: I don’t like to take it because I have to eat a lot of protein with it.

I donno.

1 Like

Can it do some damage?I’m taking it for a flue.

1 Like

N-acetyl cysteine is LIKELY SAFE for most adults, when used as a prescription medication. It can cause nausea, vomiting, and diarrhea or constipation. Rarely, it can cause rashes, fever, headache, drowsiness, low blood pressure, and liver problems.

Bleeding disorder. N-acetyl cysteine might slow blood clotting. There is concern that N-acetyl cysteine might increase the risk of bruising and bleeding in people with bleeding disorders.

Surgery. N-acetyl cysteine might slow blood clotting. This might increase the risk of bleeding during and after surgery. Stop taking N-acetyl cysteine at least 2 weeks before a scheduled surgery.

3 Likes

Why do you eat protein with it?

According to what I’ve read you can take it with or without food.

I have the ‘now’ brand and it says on it

Take 1 capsule a day with a protein containing meal.

Hmm, when I google “nac with or without food” seems most of them say either.

I use a different brand but it doesn’t say either way.

Since it doesn’t give an amount of protein that is required, did you know an 8 oz glass of lowfat milk has about 10 grams of protein?

1 Like

I drink cashew milk so I will check if I can take it with that. I really want to give this a try. I am willing to try a lot of things just to be at peace. The intrusive thoughts are unbearable at times.

1 Like

I’m actually desperate enough to try NAC again. I’ll try taking it at night instead to see if I can sleep through the side effects.

BUT first I’m going to try L-Carnosine. If that doesn’t work out then it’s back to nac at night. My order of L-carnosine should arrive soon.

I have been taking 600 mg NAC every day at lunch. I don’t know if I should try 1200 instead?
I don’t notice any difference except some acid reflux

1 Like

It takes 2-3 months to notice anything apparently…

1 Like

yeah maybe I’ll wait another 8 weeks.

1 Like

Right. Seeing as l-carnosine didn’t work out.

I’m going to try NAC again but this time at half the dose. I.e. 600mg a day.

I hope I catch a break.

1 Like

Seems reasonable. I take 600mg and 45 minutes later meditate. I can definitely feel it. I felt it after my first dose and didn’t need to wait (2-3 months everyday) so long for an effect. I noticed a difference with l theanine as well, but it is not as pleasant as NAC in my humble opinion.

2 Likes