Found out what I have

Depersonalization. Today a book “Stranger to My Self” arrived in the mail and while reading it I’ve been on the verge of tears. It is exactly what I have. This guy is literally describing my state of consciousness. Everything matches. Thank God I’m seeing my doctor tomorrow.

The frustration of knowing that I don’t have SZ but never being quite sure is gone.

(Rarely) DP is mistaken for schizophrenia. Doctors are just ■■■■■■■ lazy sometimes.

http://img.pandawhale.com/100957-Groundhog-Day-BING-gif-Ned-Rye-wN6x.gif

2 Likes

Depersonalization-derealization disorder occurs when you persistently or repeatedly have the feeling that you’re observing yourself from outside your body or you have a sense that things around you aren’t real, or both. Feelings of depersonalization and derealization can be very disturbing and may feel like you’re living in a dream.

Many people have a passing experience of depersonalization or derealization at some point. But when these feelings keep occurring or never completely go away, it’s considered depersonalization-derealization disorder. This disorder is more common in people who’ve had traumatic experiences.

Depersonalization-derealization disorder can be severe and may interfere with relationships, work and other daily activities. The main treatment for depersonalization-derealization disorder is talk therapy (psychotherapy), although sometimes medications also are used.

Thanks for the info Pat. Feelin good today, u?

Yes!..

I’m glad you’ve found some degree of peace within yourself in regards to your condition. Good luck with your doctor tomorrow! :slight_smile:

1 Like

You’re making in progress in sorting this out… that’s excellent news @bluey… keep us updated… take care

1 Like

Here is a way to organize your meeting with your doctor so that you get ALL the key issues discussed:

4 Likes

Perhaps you’ve just had an ‘epiphany’ of sorts. My own ‘A-Ha! Moment’ came about 8 years ago…

I read about Truman Show Syndrome and it was me in spades. I felt I was a victim/spectacle in this Universal Play against me. I’ve been diagnosed with delusions of reference and delusions of persecution. But TSS is EXACTLY what I had.

However it is not yet recognized as a medical condition by today’s Psychiatry. But I’m not stupid. That was my condition 100%.

Explain to your doctor/ compare notes with him/her and let us all know how it goes tomorrow.

3 Likes

Thanks, I will use this.

I wrote a rap once

“It was not long ago I was treated less than human
I thought my life was like truman”

1 Like

Hi Bluey, I am new to the forum and am a “family member.”

I have complex PTSD with dissociative features (for me derealization and fugue states [now ended]). 22 years ago, I was initially diagnosed as “mildly schizophrenic.” I am told that I can tell the difference between my perceptions and delusions and reality. Plus I sort of don’t care what reality is beyond what I need to know to hopefully survive.

It is difficult to navigate at times. For example, yesterday I was walking around looking for my sweater and all of a sudden, many objects might be my sweater. Looking at a [shoe] trying to decide whether it’s a sweater… Trying to remember what a sweater is and why I might be looking for one…

I also have major depression (source of delusions?), anxiety, and OCD.

The dissociative diagnosis was 14 years ago and I have made progress in some ways. I found the explanation of symptoms helpful because I was under a great deal of stress and “losing time.” I guess this happens to lots of people who have been traumatized.

I like the Groundhog’s Day GIF. In some ways, we sometimes get the chance for do-overs.

Living with someone who does have chronic psychosis (diagnosed), I believe the DD diagnosis is easier to live with because many more bridges to shared reality. Many and frequent occasions of functioning. Larger amounts of time spent in shared reality.

I have counseling appt. tomorrow. Since I have been under stress, many of my symptoms are increasing.

I hope your doctor visit goes well.

1 Like

Good luck with your doctors appointment!

Good luck… I’m glad you found this…

I have had a lot of trouble with depersonalization… it would really mess me up…

I never knew what was happening to me… all of a sudden… I wasn’t connected to myself any more… I was watching myself from across the room… unable to stop myself from doing stuff… I was detached from myself…

It used to be upsetting and confusing… It fed a lot of my sneaky brained thinking.

But when someone described depersonalization and how it’s stress triggered… they didn’t realize what a great coping tool they gave me. Then I learned some grounding techniques… that’s helped me.

I still end up on the out side of me looking in… but now it doesn’t throw me into so much confusion as it used to.

Good luck with your doc and I hope you feel better soon.

1 Like

I too had a lot of trouble with personalization and derealization. When I found the right med, AP, it completely stopped.

How did the doctor’s appointment go? What did the doctor say?

Well I did most of the talking because I’m manic about this whole thing, but in general it went well. She didn’t offer any resistance but she did say I’m thinking about my problems too much.

She took me off Depakote, kept Abilify and the others, and added Prozac. I’ll keep you guys updated; the meds come in the mail.

I’m going to start a mindfulness-based workbook for depersonalization today.

2 Likes

Where (what country or state) do you live? I’ve never heard of them mailing you medications. Thats great.

Missouri, US. Through ExpressScripts I think.

However I get Abilify at CVS.

1 Like