Found out I'm still under indigent care

I was at my psychiatric care provider today, and I asked if they took Humana Medicare Advantage plans. My psychiatric care provider is a charitable, not-for-profit organization that treats people with severe and persistent mental illness.

They told me I could sign up for any Advantage plan I wanted. They don’t need my Medicare because I receive indigent funding. I was homeless back in 2008, out of involuntary psychiatric treatment in the hospital, when my care provider started treating me.

I guess I’m a little proud now, as I would like to be paying for my own treatment. But maybe I shouldn’t look a gift horse in the mouth. What do you think?

1 Like

You shouldn’t look a gift horse in the mouth. Take whatever you’re entitled to.

2 Likes

Last June when I was on 5mg Abilify, I was hallucinating and paranoid. I wrote letters to my case manager trying to get discharged. I thought Dr Smith my psychiatrist was out to get me.

I have/had strong beliefs my pdoc is out to get me.

1 Like

I think it’s great you have extra care. Take it! It’s quite an opportunity

1 Like

You should see if that can cover your shingles vaccine also.

4 Likes

What @ninjastar said! Personally, I think this is great news. You’ve been financially stressed as of late you’ve said and this will help relieve that. I like it when people get the resources they need when they need them.

:blush:

4 Likes

What is indigent care?

1 Like

Indigent is where you don’t have any money or resources, frequently homeless. That’s about as best as I can explain it.

From the dictionary:

lacking food, clothing, and other necessities of life because of poverty; needy; poor; impoverished.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.