Found a Sz friend to share the reading of western philosophies

Recently I met a Sz friend on Chinese Sz forum who likes to learn Western philosophies. This week we both read Albert Camus’ book The Myth of Sisyphus… We will have a discussion of Camus’ thoughts this weekend. This kind of reading together gives me more motivation to dig into the philosophic books.

10 Likes

It sounds odd but i’d advise you look into the works of Voltaire as well as learn about Gladtiators and their Arena, such as Damascus, Syria, Roma, Rome, Italia, et cetera. Why were people fighting? In short, they were being persecuted or used as slaves, others for the glory.

1 Like

For example here is a mistranslated Epitaph (words written on a stone) in the tomb of a woman and man as conveyed by Ed Sheeran. It was found in Damascus, Syria. Since the tomb has been ransacked and the tomb eroded, broken into 100,000 pieces. Eleventy.

1 Like

I know a little bit about Voltaire but haven’t read any of his books. I will try and thanks for the recommendations.

Many attribute a famous quote to Locke, it more or less goes, “I may not agree with what you have to say, but I will fight all my life for you to speak.” Voltaire too was a former soldier who became a teacher or philosopher in Ancient times. It is said in myth, Ptolemy said it as well when he overheard Pliny and the Elder speak about Pliny and the Younger. Some evidence and research suggests based on artifacts found around the period of time in which Confucius (as he is known in the West) whom is Tao (Tao) may have in archaeological findings been Voltaire.

1 Like

I like the myth of sisyphos and can recommend the short novel “The stranger” by Camus, it is a terrific novel and very deep in a shallow kind of way - there is a point in the novel being shallow or rather “thin” in it’s structure.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.