For those of you on ssi and welfare

Its tha 1st of tha month!!!

2 Likes

Thanks for reminding me. I have to pay my rent. :+1:

1 Like

I used to try very hard to avoid ending up in the inner city by working very hard, trying to go back to college, and attempting to write a book. But i quit when I realized my voices were not going to go away, plantar fasciitis made physical labor painful, I had a relapse, I faced possible homelessness if my Mom died before I moved out of the house, and there was no way I could win with the rules of SSI. I promise not to try to get a woman to be my baby mama so you won’t have to worry about me causing generational welfare. That’s the last decent thing I can do.

2 Likes

Why can’t you get disability?

1 Like

I was diagnosed with the disorder at 24 after developing it a year earlier. That was too late to qualify for SSDI. I also must admit I spent too long at school and didn’t get enough work credits before I got sick. When i was diagnosed the doctors told Mom to put me on SSI in order to afford my medical care because schizophrenia was a pre-existing condition and my step-father’s insurance dropped me. For 9 years after that I worked as a volunteer because the Ticket to Work was not in place yet. I then worked on the Ticket to Work program for a couple of years before becoming a VISTA volunteer (which didn’t count as work credits just like the volunteer work didn’t even though some of what I was paid went to the government) for 3 years during which time I developed plantar fasciitis. I started to write a book but realized I would have to spend too much money to get it published. I then went back to school during which time my Mom had her 2nd serious surgery. I got scared of her dying with me trapped at home so I ran to the inner city in this apartment. I did complete the associate’s degree but was relapsing during the last course and then went to the Psych Ward 4 times in a year. I received a letter from Ticket to Work asking if i had achieved the required level of advancement which obviously was leading towards going off of SSI which would have meant not being able to afford my meds any more which would have made me unable to work as it was. So I decided #@%^ it I quit.

2 Likes

Payday is no big deal to me. Most of my money goes to rent and bills. At least I live within my budget.

1 Like