Flight if Ideas: Not Bipolar Mania

Here’s my current bog question that brought me here. Let me give a little overview first.

I have thought disorders such as repeating one or two words in a phrase I attempt to say, losing my train of thought, and rambling a bit when answering questions. All of these things I’ve gotten very good at “playing off” in public.

It has just been brought to my attention that I get “Flight if Ideas” when under stress. I think I can work more meditation and stuff to reduce the effects of stress but does anyone else get this?

I literally cannot stop talking on and on once I’m there. So, if you get it, how do you get it back under control? Is it just a thing where I’ll have to get alone in my home until it passes?

I had the worst day yesterday dealing with this. I’m exhausted today and feel somewhat defeated.

Everyone in my family struggles with this. We have a “just tell me to stop” rule. For the most part, we let the other person go on and on and try to pay attention as best we can. On times when one of us is being waaayyyyyy too motormouthed to make sense, we say, “that’s too much, can you take a break?” And we have all agreed to not be offended by this. For reference, I have schizophrenia, my husband has autism, and our son has ADHD.

Yesterday I kept trying to stop. I could go for short periods and then I’d find myself right back at it without realizing. I don’t think I’d be offending if someone told me to “just stop.” But is there anything you use to help yourself stop?

Full disclosure: yesterday I used wine so I’d fall asleep. That is not a good long term solution though :joy:

When I just can’t stop, I try to spread out the annoyance as much as possible so I’m not getting hit with too much all at once. I have three good friends who don’t mind if I text rant at them. They know they aren’t obligated to respond, and can mute notifications if they want. Sometimes just typing out the message is enough to get the idea out of my head, and then I don’t have to hit send. I have a journal where I can rant and ramble on. I make posts here if I really want feedback.

I do highly recommend trying to type instead of talking, because it helps to organize your thoughts and put them in a direction.

2 Likes

Thank you. I like that idea. I may make it a notebook so I can throw the pages away. Not sure I want a record of some of my thoughts.

1 Like

Yeah. Hand writing is better than typing sometimes because the act of forming the letters forces you to slow down and think about what you’re writing.

But I’m also glad I have records of some of my crazier rambles because it’s good incentive for me to stay on my medicine. After so long in recovery, we all hit a point where we think we don’t need our meds anymore. Looking back at the nonsense I’ve written reminds me how crazy I get when I’m not medicated.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.