First-Episode Schizophrenia: Searching for the Most Effective Atypical Antipsychotic

A New Study out of China suggests that:

Aripiprazole, risperidone, quetiapine, olanzapine, and ziprasidone had significant curative effects on first-episode drug-naive schizophrenia, according to an article published in the Annals of General Psychiatry. Although risperidone was more effective than aripiprazole and olanzapine in treating schizophrenia, quetiapine and olanzapine resulted in less severe extrapyramidal adverse effects than ziprasidone.

Read the full story:

https://www.psychiatryadvisor.com/schizophrenia-and-psychoses/schizophrenia-first-episode-psychosis-efficacy-of-ziprasidone-quetiapine-olanzapine/article/741456/

2 Likes

Yet they cause negative symptoms when you take them?

2 Likes

No - the medications don’t cause the negative symptoms. Those are symptoms that are part of schizophrenia.

3 Likes

Can someone tell me how these drugs are suppose to treat schizophrenia, because all they seemed to do to me, was knock me for six and Olanzapine made me eat 24/7. All I could think about was eating and trying to achieve normal consciousness.

Unfortunetly this is all that we have to help us at the moment. With time, we will see better medications and scientists will have a better understanding of sz.

If you think about it, even in the 50s they thought they had a perfectly viable treatment with those pills that completely zonked people out and made them forget who they were.

I’m sure 50 years from now people will also look back at the medications that we are on and feel a little sorry for us.

1 Like

Once your stable you can essentially experiment with the medications. Most of all the medications are just dupes. But luckily each one can effect you differently. So find one that doesn’t zomb you or make you eat and then find the lowest possible dose you can manage on.

Med cause negative symptoms worse…!!! Am i right Admin…!!!

I think your right. I remember being happy but crazy in psychosis. Then once I was medicated I started to feel like crap

2 Likes