Financial advise please

I have a hard time discerning what I should buy and what I shouldn’t. I need a blood pressure machine. I know I need that.

I was also going to buy 4 camping chairs because we have none and we can’t sit around the fire. They are reg price $30 on clearance for $12.

I really need to save for my teeth and dentures and I desperately need to get glasses.

I would also like to have a bit of money for the kids and I to have a fun summer.

Pick up a book at the library by Dave Ramsey. He’s the owner of Financial Peace University. I took his class years ago and there’s a lot to it but it helped me a lot.

4 Likes

@FatMama It seems that you are in need of budgeting advice rather than financial advice judging by what you’ve stated. Few people have budgeting skills where a person takes into account their income stream versus their expense stream. Budgeting also includes short-term purchases versus long-term purchases and small item spending versus large item spending.

1 Like

I’m not great at budgets, but I know when to stop spending, been a year now and I only buy it if I have no other choice, will take me a couple of years to get to where I want to be

1 Like

It takes discipline to manage your money. I used to be broke before my diagnosis and since I got diagnosed it made me grow up a lot and getting my finances in order was the first thing I did because I knew I couldn’t just hold down a job long term so I’ve become very careful on how I spend my money. I second listening and reading Dave Ramsey’s material it will help you get things in order.

Again it’s not going to happen overnight but start with small steps and work your way from there. You can do it. I also recommend listening or reading The Automatic Millionaire, Money: Master the game, and The Millionaire Mind. All these books will help you get things going. It sucks being broke and not having the money to take care of your needs but you can change all that. You are the one who is in control of your life.

2 Likes

Also google the Cooking for a Month book. Basically you plan all your meals for a month. You cook it all in one day and freeze your meals. The more you cook from scratch the more money you save.

Also Ramen noodles, hamburger helper, and frozen pot pies are really cheap meals.

2 Likes

I try to do a few “budget” meals each week like soup and grilled cheese sandwiches. Or tuna sandwiches. Spaghetti is really cheap too. My kids love both rice and potatoes which are great.

1 Like

I just broke another tooth. I’m thinking that is my spending priority. Life is tough.

1 Like

Save for glasses first. Put an ad on Craigslist asking to borrow or rent the chairs you need or maybe buy them there or get them there for free.

2 Likes

In my case, when I do online shopping, I use this. There’s a lag between when I order a product and when transfer the money. I give myself a second thought for the time until I transfer. I don’t use a credit card that is readily available but instead I go to the atm to send the money.There were many times that I just put products in the basket and never sent the money. It is a little funny thinking that I’m so lazy.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.