Feeling really alone... The life & Times having a "Dual Diagnosis"

Recently my diagnosis changed from “Schizo-affective” to “Chronic Paranoid Schizophrenia”. I also suffer from PTSD. The day I found that out my Schizophrenia had moved up the scale, I felt like less of a person. I didn’t want the diagnosis to be correct but all the signs are there. I am extremely paranoid at times and I have overbearing hallucinations along with other symptoms. I am taking my meds and going to my therapy and classes. Life seems so unfair sometimes. I don’t want to be schizophrenic! I want to be normal. Truthfully I’m scared and feeling very alone in this. At first I did not agree with the change of diagnosis. I have slowly come to accept it. Does anyone out there have any relevant suggestions as to what steps I should or could be taking at this time? I am trying so hard not to be afraid. Thank You in advance…

My diagnosis is undifferentiated schizophrenia. I suppose I have both paranoid and disorganized traits. How are you, my friend? Do you take meds?

I don’t have any advice for you, but I’m right here, you are not alone.

Hi! I have paranoid schizophrenia but i’m much better now after 6 years of being diagnosed

Avoid alcohol and drugs at all costs, they will interfere with your recovery and change your life for the worst. This is coming from a recovering crack addict with 28 years clean and sober.

It’s a fact that people with schizophrenia do get better. Just keep doing the basics which is medication and therapy.

You’re not alone because there’s millions of us. IDK, try not to isolate, maybe find a support group. Maybe research your area to see what mental health resources are available to you and take advantage of them. I know that it is possible to work while psychotic.

In 1980 I was 19 and freshly diagnosed. Spent my first year in a group home while unmedicated. The next year I spent 8 months in the hospital. I got out and moved into a fancy group home and nine months later I got a job. I was having episodes of psychosis frequently and I was sedated from my medication but I stuck it out for four years. Been working almost steadily since.

It was kind of weird during that job because every morning when I drove to work I had some completely different manifestation form of my disease. Each morning was different. But all I knew was that I had to get to work no matter how crazy i felt. I am a testimony to stubbornness, resilience, good luck, and the value of hard work no matter what else was happening.

It ain’t easy but anything worth having in life takes hard work and effort but the occasional miracle and good luck doesn’t hurt either.

No ones going to come to your door and hand you recovery, you have to go get it, you have to go after it. In many cases, you can make your own luck. Just listen to your doctors, take suggestions, keep an open mind and let people help you. There’s whole industry of mental health workers who want to help you and see you succeed, that’s a big part of their jobs.

Anyways, I hope I said something that you can use. I’ve had paranoid schizophrenia for 38 years and I picked up a little knowledge along the way. I’ve seen too many success stories to ever give up on myself or others. Good luck.

Yes I’m am on meds. They help with the hallucinations. I’m constantly afraid of what people would think is silly. Thanks for the reply

Thank You that means a lot ATM.

I am in therapy and taking meds. Some days are better than others. What’s your secret to success. I am not lucid a lot of the time.

Your wisdom and insight are very much appreciated. Thank You Nick

Most of the time i am doing fine, but i still have some positive symptoms from time to time

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.