Feeling Lost and Alone

Hi everyone!
I just wanted some info/personal experience any of you may have on how doctors diagnose schizophrenia. I’m 17 and I was recently given the “differential diagnosis” of psychosis, so basically all they know is I have psychotic symptoms but they don’t know what’s causing it. So far only bipolar disorder has been ruled out.
I’m just feeling really lost and alone right now and I want to know what’s going on, specifically if my prolonged psychosis is a result of a disorder on the schizophrenia spectrum. I’ve been hearing voices and having mild-to-moderately strange delusions and paranoid behavior since I was about 12 but it has been much more acute in the past few weeks and it’s really scaring me and my friends/family.
I greatly appreciate any thoughts/opinions on my situation!
-Jane

Hi @janedoe48. Welcome to the forum! It’s good that you’re being proactive about your mental health, especially since you’re still quite young. :slight_smile:

Research has confirmed repeatedly that the earlier that people get treatment for the early signs of mental illness (especially schizophrenia and related disorders) the better the long term outcome for the person.

You can read more here:
The Importance of Early Treatment for Schizophrenia and Psychosis

Also, here is list of Early Diagnosis & Treatment Centers. Maybe there is one near where you live.
Worldwide Early Diagnosis & Treatment Centers for Psychosis & Schizophrenia

2 Likes

Hi @janedoe48! Welcome to the forums! It sounds like you’re going though a very confusing time. I’ve been there. For now, don’t worry so much about getting a label. As long as your doctors are aware of all your symptoms, they will be able to treat you. The treatment for psychosis NOS is exactly the same as the treatment for schizophrenia. So, as long as you are fully honest with your doctors, they will be able to make sure you’re getting what you need. It is unlikely you will be officially diagnosed with anything before age 18. Doctors won’t want to stick you with a label so young. Are you currently taking anything?

2 Likes

Hi and welcome to the forum, Its a long road to a diagnosis, best one can do is listen to your Doctors, read as much as you can on it. The name is not as important as getting the right treatment and meds.

1 Like

@Moonbeam thanks for the resources and especially for the reassurance!

1 Like

Thanks for the clarity @Mountainman, I guess you’re right. I’ll just continue talking with my doctors about what’s the right treatment for my symptoms rather than focusing on a diagnosis.

@Ninjastar that makes sense. I’ll just focus on getting the right treatment. I’m currently on a low dose of Abilify in addition to regular therapy.

1 Like

Howdy there!:blush:

I want to say that things can get better.
They did for me.:tada:

I used to have voices torture me 24/7 and now I only have delusions n paranoia.
I had voices I heard about eleven years ago n more .
It physically hurt me as well and felt like torture.

Talk with doctor and join this forum might help.
Medication can do wonders too.
Olanzapine worked really well for me.
Deciding what works for you with your dr cause they may make you gain weight.

Hope you feel better soon.

1 Like

Thanks so much for the empathy and reassurance @SacredNeigh7. It’s really nice to know that I’m not alone!

Hey so I’m Fate or Child of Child of Fate. Whichever you wanna call me. Anyways I’m younger too so I can relate to how you feel. I won’t say I know how you feel because I don’t know I can only relate. I don’t know much about meds and stuff but I can offer you support, and I’ll try to help when I can. Oh and I like your username. Dunno why. I just do.

1 Like

@ChildOfFate thanks for the empathy and the username compliment! :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hey no problemo whatsoever.

Hi Jane,
Welcome to the forums! You’ll find the people here friendly and understanding. You’ll probably be able to relate to people here unlike anyone in your life I bet. It’s great that you’re seeking treatment at such a young age. I wasted a lot of my youth because i resisted admitting that I was mentally ill and resisted treatment. If you get on the right medications and get your symptoms under control, you can live a normal, happy, productive life. Anyways, it’s nice to meet you!

1 Like

Thanks, @Bipolar_Bear, it’s nice to meet you too! :slight_smile:

1 Like