Feel like I'm living in limbo

Tried to write this thread like three times now.

Essentially, its been 13 years since my breakdown and I’ve never worked. I’ve also (even pre psychosis) never liked the concept of working full time - to obtain the funds to exist - so that I can continue to spend all my time slaving away at things I dont really want to do. When I was 13 I really didn’t see my life progressing beyond 21 because life in fulltime work seemed so pointless and mundane. And today my mindset isn’t very different

Fast forward to now, I get some benefits, but even if I got more benefits that I currently do, I won’t get more than about £700 a month to live off. This is not enough to live on. I live in a very expesnive area of the country. But even if I were to move drastically - I’m still not sure my situation would be entirely different. I basically require someone to take pity on me and house me and help me with food. In the current instance its my parents.

But at some point, they will die. At which point I will have to face these issues on my own and probably become homeless, and probably lose my sanity as well as any passions in my life - or alternativly end my life - something I’ve thought about a lot in the last 7 years or so.

Sometimes I feel like I’m in this sense of limbo. I’m not dead yet, but I don’t really feel like I’m living like most people. I’m living a half life.

As well as not having a desire to work, I’m unsure whether I am able to work anything more than a few hours a few days a week. I’ve never had a job, and so its something I would need to work towards (which Im not against). But even if this job was obtained -again it is still not enough to live off.

Which leads me into my main dilema that I feel like Im just kind of feeding off my family, and my death is somewhat inevitable. If it was as easy as pulling a switch I would have done it already. I’ve only had one real suicide attempt where I was hospitalised, but it something I come back to a lot. I just feel like there really isn’t a future for me so why am I wasting my parent’s money in pretending there is a future for me?

I just dont see a reality where I am working full time. Again its been 13 years since I’ve had schizophrenia and my life is very similar in terms of how I spend my time. If it hasn’t changed in 13 years - how is it going to change?
I just feel like my end at my own hand is certain. Its more of a question of when and how then anything else. Even if I could do it without any problems - whats even the point of existing if your entire life is taken up ■■■■ you don’t actually care about?

Hey I don’t really have an answer but I’m in the same situation as you I live with my parents and can’t work I don’t get enough money to live on my own so I would be homeless too without their support

2 Likes

I also worry about what I’m going to do without my parents

2 Likes

Lots of people don’t work but they still get by. And a group home or supported housing may be an option for you in the future. You probably won’t be living in luxury in those but many of them feed you and help you with basic needs. And they’re much better than living on the streets.

2 Likes

I live in supported housing which consists of sharing an apartment with one other roommate. The only consession we have to make is a counselor comes by every three weeks for an hour or so to check in to see if there’s any problems. Other than that we’re pretty much left alone. I live pretty good on SSDI and a part-time job.

3 Likes

This is a bit morbid but what will happen to your parents house when they die? If it’s mortgage free you could inherit it. So you’d be living rent free.

1 Like

I live with my dad and worry about when he’ll die and what I’ll do. I won’t be able to work most jobs around here since they’re almost all customer service related and I don’t have the social skills to do those jobs.

IDK. When I was at my last department store job, my co-workers were mostly a bunch of rowdy guys in their twenties. I was hired to unload trucks and stock shelves with them but everybody was required to work the cash registers. (Except for me for some reason).

Anyways, these guys weren’t exactly polished social animals but they all worked the cash registers. My point is that if you tried you might surprise yourself and be able to do it.

And speaking of department stores I’ve worked in several. I mostly stocked shelves. It’s not that bad, you might have to get along with just a few people that you see every day and you know. I worked graveyard for 8 months stocking shelves at Target. No customers to deal with at that time.

Incidently, I’ve been at jobs where I hardly spoke to anyone. I mean, I talked just enough to ask questions and learn directions but I was mute the rest of the time, lol. In my defence, some jobs I didn’t talk a lot but I had people who liked me and I talked to them easily. Some jobs people didn’t like me but I still communicated with them fine. And maybe you could get lucky and find a similar situation.

1 Like

limbo…………….it did work. someone keep moving the rock.

My dad is middle class, frugal, and wise with his money. If it wasn’t for me, he would be doing good. I have a small disability trust which may or may not exist after he passes. He just retired. I feel guilty and he is hard on me, but he’s the reason I live more comfortably. Ssi assumes your family helps a bit. Otherwise I would be screwed.

I never worked. Went to college for 5 years and dropped out my senior year. I think I have 1 work credit out of 10? I never made more than 9 dollars an hour.

I too worry about meds, insurance, love, emotional support, etc. I still worry about homeless or dying early. I have a severe case. I know I’m better off than most though.

I want to finish school and work making high wages so I can get on either ssdi or save up 500k+ in wages which would be like 2k a month to live on the rest of my life.

1 Like

Where I live the mentally ill people have a 5 year waiting list for a studio or 1 bedroom apartment. It looks really nice. Still, I don’t know if I could do it on my own or even have enough money. It’s a dream of mine to live there. In once place or county I lived in, there was no supportive housing for people like me. There was no waitlist. Not everyone in the country has the same opportunities. The place I lived in had high crime, high unemployment, and high poverty. There always seems to be a shortage of housing. There was only 1 homeless shelter in the area – the largest county in the country I believe. What a disgrace. It was filthy too and nasty I heard. I think we should take care of our own people first.

The waitlist for where I lived or live is like 10-30 years. I don’t have a family, I’m not a veteran, I’m not blind, I don’t have kids, and I’m not a woman. I do have schizophrenia, but the support is limited for people like me. I did not get it under 18 years old. If I did, I would have been set for life.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 95 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.