'Fat but fit' still risk heart disease - BBC News

1 Like

I’m technically overweight. Lebron James is considered morbidly obese. Bbc is full of :face_vomiting:

The problem isn’t weight. It’s body fat percentage. Muscle weighs more than body fat. So if I lost muscle I could gain more fat than I lost in muscle and still be at a “healthy weight”. And too much fat will mess with your hormones which messes with your heart. Being at a healthy body fat percentage is more important to me than my actual weight.

3 Likes

Your BMI is

When I type in Dwayne Johnson’s height and weight…

Is he at risk for heart disease?? Or is he super-human?

If he really is taking steroids then yes.

1 Like

9 Body Types

Heart Rate zone (bpm) in conjunction with age.

I’ve been up in the 190s before as I was training. I just don’t feel that heart beat like I used to as a child so I push myself even harder the more I can.

These are all of course generalizations being posted. It all depends on you, who you are as an athlete.

@anon1571434 As you can see on the chart, when we age our maximum heart rate goes down. Once you hit 35, your muscles, joints and bones hurt which is why Professional Sports Athletes retire at 40.

They retire because they can’t put out the same power they used to due to testosterone decline. Professional athletes also manipulate their bodies to create a certain effect. So they aren’t always the same. That puts stress on the body.

Most people don’t work out consistently either, which is where those statistics probably came from. If you trained for health consistently from a young age, your heart rate could go beyond those barriers.

@anon1571434 Age also plays a factor as you say, “they can’t put out the same power”. These people are physically talented and get paid lots of $$$ for what they do and to entertain the crowd. They get the best training possible.

When people are in their 20s, it’s a time to learn and memorize for the brain, do physical activity and gain experience do whatever it is a person is doing. Once 30s hit, you are able to reflect on your past experience.

Well I don’t know about all that. I’m never going to stop learning and I’m never going to stop weight training. But just because I’m not in my 30s doesn’t mean I don’t/haven’t reflected on my past experiences. I’m a moldable guy and reflection is something to be learned. Without it there would be no way to get what I have today. Reflection is apart of the learning process. I’ve went back to my past experiences many times and found things I can do better and also things I’m goos at.

@anon1571434 In your 20s, it’s the time to get your undergraduate or graduate degree. It’s more difficult to attain it in let’s say your 50s or 60s. Arnold Schwarzenegger has been training since he was in his teens and continues to do so in his 70s.
https://i.ytimg.com/vi/O5x97ejDc44/maxresdefault.jpg

When you get to your 30s you will reflect on your past that’s for sure. I agree with you on this part:

There is always room for self-improvement.

I’m definitely working on this. Main goal is 215 but I think I can have a normal bf% if I get down to 180-185. Maybe a little more. No more skinfold caliper measurements for me until I lose more weight as it’s depressing.
Still I have to think about what I’ll look like when I lose the weight.

@IndustrialLad I’m 198lb@22% Body Fat with a BMI of 28… I had trouble getting to 180ish because my diet wasn’t there. I think it’s really, really hard to get to 180 with a body fat of 10%. You have to be really committed to the diet.

Don’t think about how you’ll look. Just do the work and the results will come.

I think of normal BF% to be like %15-17. I wasn’t %10 bodyfat as a normal 14 year old.

15%-17% body fat is healthy. 10% is lean muscle. At 14 years old you’re still growing.

Ok yeah just misinterpreted your earlier post. Just saying %10 isn’t a reasonable goal for me which you are not disagreeing with. Sorry exhile, I’m sleepy.

@IndustrialLad 10% isn’t a reasonable goal for me either. Dude, you should go to sleep if you’re tired.

Unfortunately that’s just not how it works. Sorry.

I agree, look at how athletic and heart-healthy giant football linebackers are! Look at massive discus throwers are at the olympics!
I also wonder what they mean by “fat but fit” as there is no key to figuring out how much fat to how much fitness they have.

Are they cycling like 60 minutes a day? Or like 3 hours a day? Because I want to believe that if the fat but fit people excessively exercised they’d land in a different risk level than if they just regular exercised.

1 Like